SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_e

Scared to move roses...

Rachel.E
10 years ago

So I just started planting my roses in February, and have quickly grown my collection from 5 to 15. I am in Central Texas, beds are mulched well.

I didn't have enough beds ready to plant these mostly 2-gallon plants from ARE with the spacing that they probably really needed. I am afraid many of them will be too close together for the long-haul.

What is the best option for repositioning/moving them? Should I do it now before they get too big? Wait until the fall when it cools down? Wait until there's a space problem? They have plenty of room now, but I'm afraid they will crowd into each other in the next few years.

I have quite a few Tea roses in one large bed: Mons Tillier, William R Smith, Duchesse de Brabant, Rosette Delizy. I also have a Mme Isaac Periere (a bourbon), Gruss an Aachen (Floribunda, I believe) and Angel Face (hybrid tea) in there...

They are spaced, for the most part, at least 6' apart. Gruss and Angel Face are a bit closer to each other, like 4'. Mme Isaac has the most room around her, probably 8' or so.

Also, when and how should I fertilize? I would like to keep things as organic as possible. I haven't done anything to them yet, and they are all growing happily. They are in beds amended with composted cow manure and leaf mold.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help! Y'all are so helpful.

Comments (21)