SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosecorgis

Striped Rose Suggestions

14 years ago

My neighbor just cut down some large bushes next door, changing a shade garden into a sun garden overnight. Yeah! More room to plant roses!

I'm looking to put teas and other old roses in this part of the yard. It gets full sun from about 10am until 5pm. I live in Livermore, CA -- very hot and dry in the summer (90+ is common, winter gets frost but no snow.

I'm looking for a great striped rose to put here. It can be big - there's room for it. Looking through books I saw Variegata di Bologna and loved it - so striking! I looked on HelpMeFind and it said it was only ok to zone 6a? I guess it's a Bourbon but I don't know anything about that class.

Does anyone have suggestions of roses to consider? I like the drama of that rose which I think would nicely set off some of the more subtle teas that I have as little 1 gal to plant there - Grandmother's Hat, Rubens and Archduke Charles.

Besides the beauty of the bloom itself, I'd like an attractively shaped bush and good rebloom. Scent is not as important to me since I can't smell most roses.

Thanks for the suggestions. You've all given me some very good advice when I was designing my front yard.

Debbie

Comments (16)