SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

helenium - or other - suggestions please

I have a friend who I helped with a foundation planting. She has a blue house, and it is rather narrow. We planted some boxwoods and Goldmound spireas in front, along with some Captain Kirk hostas, hakone grass, and purple-leafed hecuheras, and everything is doing fantastic and looking good. It's a kind of chartreuse, dark green and spots-of-purple theme (you may recall I was recently looking for something that would work like a barberry (color-wise) in this planting).

The house has a center door, and has almost the same plantings on each side. As you look at the house, the ground on the right slopes away and down rather sharply to the right at the end of the house, and so because of this, we pulled the shrubs on the right hand side out (forward) a bit and there is a space in behind that is still somewhat noticeable. From the street it is not so noticeable, but she stands right in front of the bed to enjoy it and this space kind of bothers her.

She has a cement birdbath from the previous owners literally lying in her back yard (I've been envious of this thing for years!) and I told her that would fill the spot perfectly, but she's not buying this suggestion!

So, I'm thinking a nice orange-blooming plant, upright and at least 3 feet tall, might work here. I was thinking helenium, but other than some seed-grown ones that I had, loved, and lost, I don't have much experience with them.

I found a UK site that had a good list of heleniums, with pretty good and honest descriptions, and one that caught my eye was Ring of Fire.

So my question is, can anyone give me more info on heleniums in general, (bloom time, length of bloom) suggest one for this spot, or give me a completely different suggestion? Sorry no pics. She does not want me to post pictures.

Oh, and the plant can't be much more than 3 feet, as her windows are very low. I've never seen such low windows in a house! So 3 feet, give or take a few inches, is enough to see the blooms above the spireas and boxwood, and short enough so it won't block the window.

Thanks!
Dee

Comments (14)