SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
widdringtonia

Witch hazel pruning?

widdringtonia
12 years ago

I have a common witch hazel (H. virginiana) that I planted as a teeny little stalk in the autumn of 2007. What with my having a baby and now very demanding toddler and my husband's back to back deployments, all thoughts of pruning for the best form went entirely by the wayside.

The tree is planted in a perennial garden bed and intended to provide some shade onto the front porch and kitchen window. I'm not fussy if it's in a standard tree form or more bushy. It's just about the height now that it's providing some nice shade in the morning. The house faces east and it's planted in front of the house.

But I am concerned that it has two main trunks that split barely a few inches off the ground.

Would the split be cause for concern or should I take one of the leaders off now? The taller leader is, of course, the one that's at a greater angle.

View from the walkway:

{{gwi:358732}}

Close up of the split from the same angle:

{{gwi:358733}}

View from the opposite side (ignore the ball in the plants off the the left and the funny looking stuff on the ground is biodegradable easter grass and some decaying newsprint used for weed-suppression):

{{gwi:358734}}

Closeup of the split from the same angle as above:

{{gwi:358737}}

Comments (4)