SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenjobber

small native tree decision

gardenjobber
10 years ago

I'm looking for opinions on a smallish native tree (or large shrub) to plant off the northeast corner of my two-story house. I want something that will get to at least 15' but preferably not exceed 30' or maybe 40', and preferably something that flowers. My zone 6a/ borderline 5b seems to come with a slightly colder microclimate, as things just bloom a little later here than in much of the surrounding area. Here are the ones I'm leaning toward:

Serviceberry/ amelanchier -- obvious choice, pretty much perfect, except that in my area I've seen too many get hit hard by cedar rust and defoliate as early as July, and I already have one
Redbud (cercis canadensis)-- hard to think of any drawbacks, but I haven't grown one
Dogwood (cornus florida) -- I have three planted three years ago that have so far chosen not to flower, hesitant to plant another, plus it might get a wee bit boring
Sourwood/ oxydendron-- very tempted by this one, but wary of possible lack of cold-hardiness and slow growth. any thoughts?
Sweetbay magnolia (magnolia virginiana) -- I think probably does not get big enough in my climate -- any experience?

I've toyed with going with a large shrub that I can prune to tree form (there's a path nearby), like a witch hazel which tends to grow large and in tree form all around here anyway. Any thoughts along those lines would be welcome, too. Thanks!

Comments (10)