SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgperilman

Native CA trees with small root systems

dgperilman
14 years ago

I am looking for fast growing trees that will grow tall to provide privacy from rear yards. I am currently putting in a drainage system as the property is very low at the bottom of Hawthorne Hill so I get much service water. I also have a well with a pump in the same area. I am hoping to find CA native trees (low mess) which will have small root systems or deep but not wide root systems that will grow quickly and full.

Some I have heard on these forums about is the New Zealand Christmas Tree, Queensland Firewheel, Pacific Wax Myrtle and Catalina Cherry Prunus however, these are slow growing, yes?

I am hoping for a quick response as the guys putting in the drains said they would plant them this week for me.

I also have a fig tree that has been growing like a ground plant near the pool. It has never been staked or let to grow tall Can I transplant this tree (it is pretty mature - I am going to guess 15 years) but laying all over the ground? Can I cut this back and retrain it as it should grow?

Thank you,

Gayle

Comments (2)