SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenfreak_gw

First timer, can you check my list?

greenfreak
14 years ago

Hey everyone!

I've been browsing the forum for the better part of my morning and think I have a plan now. I'd like your advice, if I'm forgetting anything.

I decided on a wire bin system to start with. I would build three of them - the minimum 3 foot width or perhaps bigger if I can fit them in the spot I chose next to my shed. We don't have a huge backyard.

So I've got my 1 inch chicken wire in a circle. Line the inside with landscape fabric. I don't plan on using kitchen scraps so I'm not overly concerned about a lid.

I have many red bricks leftover from a walkway that was removed and I would like to use them instead of leaving the pile on the ground. I could put some landscape fabric lining the bottom so the lower contents don't fall through. The bricks wouldn't be impenetrable. I would support the bottom of the wire and maybe a couple of bricks in the middle.

I still haven't figured out how I could capture the 'juices' without creating a reservoir that my dog would happily lap up. Or that mosquitoes would nest in. Maybe no reservoir to start with.

I have 5 foot wooden stakes that I could insert horizontally through the sides and vertically through the top which I could remove later for some aeration. Maybe get myself some kind of pole or pitchfork to poke around in the pile or stir it a little bit from time to time.

I'll do my best to find browns (have shredded paper and newspaper in spades) and greens (grass clippings, garden pruning, coffee grounds). I do already have one garbage can with some of these items, which are probably really soggy and have to be dried out first on a tarp.

That's about all I thought of for now... I guess my biggest question is - do you find fault in my plan? I haven't seen anything about a brick base here, just about wooden pallets or on the ground. Any reason why I should scrap the brick idea?

Thank you for reading this far. I appreciate anything you could tell me. :)

Tricia

Comments (11)