SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onetwothreetim

Hyponex potting soil horror stories?

onetwothreetim
15 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone has any past experience with winter sowing with Hyponex potting soil?

Various forces converged this year which caused me to make the mistake of using 40 pound bags of Hyponex to winter start my seeds. I've since read a lot of accounts of just how bad this soil is, but not until I had already planted half of my seeds that need cold stratified.

I now plan to replant the seedlings as soon as true leaves appear. I'm concerned about the rate of die-off which might occur before this point.

I found this link (on another G.W. post) to a soil comparison which seems to make me think that chances of success aren't totally limited:

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/pottingsoil.htm

I guess that the main problem with this soil is mainly with compaction? I tried an experiment this morning where I squeezed a lump as hard as I could and dried it on top of our stove...It seees to be pretty hard already.

I would appreciate any comments which might help me salvage any of my mistake. I named my post "horror stories" but I'm really hoping that there will be a few tales of success from forum members who have used Hyponex soil in the past.

The seeds which I've planted already in this soil are:

Chelone Turtle head (Both pink and white.)

Gentiana makinoi ( Royal Blue Gentian

Gaura coccinea (Scarlet Bee blossom)

Unfortunately all of these seedlings are going to be very small and fragile except for (possibly) the Gaura. The Gentiana seeds were almost microscopic.

Thanks in advance for any replies. I really do appreciate any comments.

Regards,

Tim

Comments (19)

Sponsored