SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highjack

Repotting Horror Stories

highjack
16 years ago

What has been your worst repotting job - the one you were faced with that you weren't sure the plant would live.

Last fall, an elderly gentleman gave me a C. Guatalamalensis 'King' AM/AOS. This was in a HUGE pot, totally growing out of the pot and weighed a ton. I brought it home, gathered my clay pots, read a couple of sections in various books to refresh my memory, took a deep breath and started.

Forget about teasing the plant out of the container - had to use a hammer. The massive roots were all entertwined so I put the thing in a bucket of water to soak for hours. Still couldn't tease (HA) the roots apart so I called my husband and he used a hack saw to seperate the plant into sections. I threw out several old p-bulbs, took the front section and put it in a 8" pot. Took the next section and put it in a 8" pot. I am now down to 4 p-bulbs, 3 leafless and 1 with a singleton (bifoliate) leafed p-bulb. I tossed those in a bucket of water and walked away exhausted.

Three days later I look at those cold soaking p-bulbs that have been in total darkness to pitch them and I couldn't. I got out the lava rock, a 6" clay pot and planted those horrible looking p-bulbs in the rock. I wet the rock thoroughly, got a plastic saucer, set the pot in it, put an inch of water in the saucer and put the poor cold thing under the HID lights.

Fast forward, this spring the two bigger ones bloomed and the lava planted one grew three little new p-bulbs. This fall the two bigger ones bloomed again and little guy sent out two little blooms from one of his 6" tall bulbs. One of his original p-bulbs is just now turning yellow, the other three are still alive and the one still has the singleton leaf. These old catts are tough as nails.

So let's hear your stories of conquer and divide.

Brooke - {{gwi:205502}} - This is from the spring bloom

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor