SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marbles_n_the_garden

Anyone have a Cornish X Horror Story?

My neighbor bought chickens from McM, and they accidentally shipped Cornish X rather than the White Rocks she ordered. She doesn't eat her chickens; she sells eggs.

Anyway, we were amazed to see the white chicks zoom past the othersin growth. The Rocks are large layers, so we figured that was it.

At one point the other layers that were shipped with the X's started pecking them. One died at that point I believe. They were out with the goose at this point because the other chickens wouldn't leave them alone.

We watched the whole ordeal unfold because my kids liked to go over to see the chickies.

Anyway, the birds started walking strangely. At first, it was only one bird, so we thought something was wrong with it. Then, the others started that horrible waddle and bob. Then they began to just sit there. My neighbor looked up in the catalogue and figured out what happened. McM of course gave a refund. However, the whole experience was traumatizing.

They got worse, and I said, "Well, people think it is cruel to have large production farms keep their roasters in small pens, but these guys just sit there anyway. Maybe it is there existence which is more cruel than the small cages."

They were sooo heavy. They panted all the time. It was quite pathertic. Her mother-in-law took a bunch of them and prepared them for the freezer. She said they were the best chickens she ever tasted.

The neighbor held out 6 for someone else who wanted them, but kept delaying the pick-up date.

We wateched in horror as their health declined and they died one by one. Is this breeding obsolescence? I think these birds are not meant to live past a certain age. I started calling them FrankenChickens. I saw something on TV that said that this bird was bread in the (I think)early 80's because McDonald's wanted to carry chicken on the menu, but needed a bird with fast growth and a huge breast. Figures.

My neighbor called the person several tmes for pick-up, and the older they got, the worse things became. Their poop was not normal. There were 3 left, I believe, when one shot all its guts to the outside of its body one summer day as it was trying to poop. That poor pathetic chicken. She died on the way to the mother-in-laws house.

When the last 2 were packed up (finally), the goose had a fit that her friends were going. So you see, upsetting to people and animals.

I don't eat my animals either (we have another neighbor who does, and I have nothing against farming). It was awful to watch these birds go through ther short life.

Anyone else have horror stories?

Comments (16)