SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spaghetina

Al 'The Soil Master' Tapla

spaghetina
14 years ago

That's what I'm dubbing you. Not that I'm in any position to do that, but I'm doin' it anyway. Wot?!

So to recap my unintentional attempted hijack, lol:

Al, I know it's been asked, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned before, but these bark fines - any idea what name they're sold under at OSH or Home Depot? I don't have a Lowe's nearby, so that's out. Most of the stuff I seem to find around here is redwood, which apparently, is not ok for a planting medium? (Not sure - I've gotten some mixed reviews on it.) The local landscape supply co. has stuff labeled as redwood fines, but they look like "gorilla hair", not at all like chunks of bark. Then they have bark mulch, which is uniform pieces of bark that are around the length of the diameter of a dime, and very tanbark-looking. Then we have redwood compost, and that basically looks like powdered redwood bark.

I've poured over all of your soil posts, looked at pictures and such for the gritty mix, for your bark fines/peat/floor dry/sand/lime mix, and I'm just left totally confused (my fault-not yours). I'm trying to build a soil for raised beds, and I just can't seem to hit upon the right combination of things or the right places/names of the ingredients to go into the mix. I don't want to buy what *I* think are partially compost bark fines only to discover that they're totally the wrong kind of wood or something, and ruin my chances of having a good fall garden. I also don't want the expense of screwing it up the first time and having to replace everything.

Any help you can provide would be so appreciated.

Or anyone else, if you have some info, feel free to chine in also. :) Thanks, y'all!

Comments (24)