SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

Better late than never?

estreya
15 years ago

Hello, all!

After literally three years of procrastination, i've decided to start composting. Over the next several weeks (and from this point forward), i'll be mining the threads here for precious guidance. But for the moment, i have a few initial questions:

1. Tomorrow, i'm going to mow an overgrown area that will be dedicated to composting. But must i have a bin of some kind? I've seen wooden pallets screwed together to make a frame, and that seems within my ability to put together. But on the other hand, is a frame really necessary? Can i just start tossing things into the area to make a pile?

2. Initially, i plan to toss banana peels, apple cores, coffee grounds (basically all kitchen "waste") into the area. I won't have grass clippings to cover the scraps since i mow back into the lawn. Am i asking for trouble as far as coons and rodents and the like are concerned, and if so, is there a way to address this?

As i said, i'd like to get started tomorrow, and then learn as i go along. But i'd like to make sure i'm not making poor choices from the get go.

I'm ready to get going! And i'd like to strike while my motivation is hot.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living