SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carsons_mimi

Okay, I've read the FAQ's, but when do I....?

carsons_mimi
14 years ago

I think I need help getting a game plan together as far as the timing. I've never started anything from seed before much less wintersowing. So, as an experiment, I've decided to do both. After reading several wintersowning sites, I think I understand the "how to" with respect to the containers but I'm more concerned about the "when". I think I'll be okay with the seeds indoors but I'm less confident about the timing of the wintersown veggies. I understand some veggies (peppers, tomatoes) are very picky about cold weather so they should probably wait awhile but the others?!?

First of all, I live in central Oklahoma (zone 7). I believe our last expected frost here is around April 15th. Here's what I plan to grow this season:

* Bell peppers, jalapenos, habaneros, anaheims, cayenne, banana peppers

* Pole beans, bush beans, snow peas, sweet peas, edamame

* Broccoli, brussels, cabbage, radicchio, carrots, lettuce, spinach, radish, leeks

* Cucumbers, zucchini

* Tomatoes, tomatoes and more tomatoes (!)

* possibly cantaloupe, watermelon, pumpkins

If the specific variety of something makes a difference in timing, I can follow-up with more details. This is all so totally new to me and I truly, truly do not want to mess things up right out of the starting gate.

I appreciate any and all guidance offered. I'm sure I'll make mistakes along the way (and that's okay) but I'd rather go into this armed with as much info as I can get so maybe the 'hits' will be more than the 'misses'.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Lynn

Comments (6)

Sponsored