SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjc48

Okay, I think I've got this figured out!!

sjc48
14 years ago

Hello Everyone! I'm new to the site, and got a little confused about the "threads." So: to Piti-thanks again!; to Ellenr-found you on the long thread!; to anyone I missed-thanks for replying!!; and to Floodthelast-my wintersown Cosmos Sonata is sprouting!! We're getting lots of sun today, after 3-4 days of rain. And to everyone else: not sure how long these posts can be, will try to be brief! I live in Monroe, MI, gardened for 6-7 years-flowers, herbs; am a first time winter sower. Small growing areas: small cement patio w/beds around it, long alley type area between my house and business next door, and small area in front yard, with wooden plant boxes and planters on front porch. Also a long, long, long narrow area in front of the business next door. All of these areas already have lots of perennials. Okay, onward! CS stands for collected seeds, all others were bought. Using the "heat mat, grow light, potted up and in the windows" system: lots and lots of Red Texas Hummingbird Sage CS; 17 2" pots with 2 each Black Madras Rice (where was my head? need 4, at best!), 6 pink cascade double petunias (next year-CS!), 8 peach butterfly impatiens (ditto), 9-10 fuller's teasel (don't ask, cause I forget why!!), lots and lots of stinging nettle (butterfly host, I think), 15 blue woodruffs (sad story, had 32, knocked them over!), innumerable little purple angelonia CS (DUH! I think they reseed themselves), and my pride and joy, prayed over nightly!!: 22 gerbera daisy seedlings!!! They are about 1 to 2 inches high, first set of real leaves!!! Also have cinnamon basil CS, lemon mint and marigolds-some seeds from last year, some new (I know, I know!!)in flats in windows-the cinnamon basil is sprouting!! Okay, brief, Shirley, Brief!! My supervisor at work sent me the link to Trudi Davidoff's wintersown site, and as a result: outside, in any thing I could find: (some of you may have already read this part in another post) 3 kinds of cosmos, 4 kinds of poppies, American bittersweet, betony, dahlberg daisies, empress verbascum (already sprouting!!), black adder hyssop CS, red clover (already sprouting!!), astilbe, hostas, coral bells, butterfly weed, St. John's wort CS, dill, pansies, prairie white clover, wild blue indigo, and pipevine! I gathered seeds from one of the cosmos-cosmic yellow-that sprouted in a crack of the cement-was one of the prettiest plants I had this past year!! I am trying to start a butterfly garden this year, and a lot of these are for host/nectar plants. I don't have any luck using fertilizers/plant food, used at quarter strength, half strength, didn't matter, all died, so I don't use anything. I don't have much luck with Brand names-cheep, off brands of anything seem to work best for me. Oh, yeah, I started common milkweed, on paper towels, in baggies, in my frig, and have 15 baby spider plants upstairs in the window. I'm done WS, still have lots to plant after it warms up. I want to try passiflora incarnata from seed-anyone have any advice?!! And last-I love this site, love reading the posts! Hey, happy sprouting, everyone!!

Comments (7)

Sponsored