SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beezray

Safe to plant bare root roses?

beezray
13 years ago

I'm hoping for some advise. This is our first year of planting after relocating from the Kansas City area to our current location in lower Michigan. We got a late start this spring, and have just put in some new flower beds this week. I've been flowerless for the past 2 years since our move and miss my English roses terribly. Actually I've missed having flowers of ANY kind. There was nothing here when we arrived....just some grass.

Anyway, we're finally able to get some beds established, and I ordered some bare root English roses a couple of days ago. This morning I received an email saying they believe my temps here are now too high (above 70 degrees) for planting bare root roses, and that if I still want them shipped now, they will not offer a warranty. Otherwise, they will hold the order and ship next spring. Next spring....... *sigh*

Does anyone have wisdom to share? Just how risky is it to plant bare root roses when the temps are pretty consistently in the mid to high 70's? Is it really necessary to wait? Boy do I miss my roses. :(

Comments (13)