SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerzone4

Help me eliminate some roses!

gardenerzone4
13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning a fragrant rose-only cutting garden for next spring. After combing this forum for postings on fragrant, classic, outstanding roses, I've come up with the following list. However, I've only got space for 24 varieties and need your help to pare down this list.

Please post if any of these do NOT have OUTSTANDING fragrance, lasting power in the vase/garden, or is a major disease magnet (as in worse than the average HT). Feel free to mention anything else I should know.

Additional info: I live in Zone 5 NE, with a Zone 4b microclimate. All of these will be own-root roses from Roses Unlimited. This cutting garden will receive lots of winter protection and full sun. I have realistic expectations and will spray as needed, but would rather not start out by planting known sickly cultivars.

One more thing--I've tried to group these by color. My intent is to plant these 24 roses in 8 groups of 3 spaced 20" apart. I like the impact of mass planting but don't have the space for duplication, so I thought I'd just plant 3 roses with similar colors together so they look like one large bush from a distance. If you want to comment on which 3 (or 6) I should select from each color group, that'd be great too.

Thanks!

Gardenerzone4

Fragrant Cloud (orange)

Folklore (orange)

Arizona (orange)

Chrysler Imperial (red)

Oklahoma (red)

Papa Meilland (red)

Rouge Royale (red Romantica, Charles de Mills form)

Perfume Delight (dark pink)

Charlotte Armstrong (dark pink)

Peter Mayle (dark pink)

Bewitched (rose pink)

Fragrant Memory (rose pink)

The McCartney Rose (rose pink)

Sweet Surrender (rose pink)

Tiffany (light pink/yellow blend)

Secret (light pink/yellow blend)

Amazing Grace (light pink)

New Zealand (light pink)

Frederic Mistral (light pink)