SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Investing more $$ in my garden if I'm moving...

mxk3 z5b_MI
16 years ago

I'm not moving in the immediate future, but DH and I have decided that when I finally graduate college (two more years then probably two to three of grad school) we are going to move if possible, that is our goal. So I'm not going to drop any more money on big stuff unless is necessary/repair-type stuff (e.g. I really want a new kitchen floor, but why drop 5K on beautiful tile for someone else...).

But what about my garden? I was thinking of that this morning, because I was going to go to the nursery and had a list of things I wanted, probably about $200 worth to fill a bare area in a new bed DH dug a while ago, but I held off on going. I spent probably $300 in the last two weeks on plant material (stuff I had been wanting for a while, were well thought-out purchases, not impulse) and now I feel like it's a waste, I'm going to be leaving it anyway.

If you were kind of close to moving, would you still continue to improve/spend money on your garden? On the one hand, I realize the plants will give me pleasure the remaining few years I'm here, but on the other hand, I'm starting to feel it's wasted money since I'll be leaving it anyway.

And no - I'm not digging everything out when I move. Been there, done that, don't feel it's worth it. The only things I'll take are a couple plants that would be very expensive to replace and/or have sentimental value - e.g. a couple laceleaf Jap. Maples gift from my dad, a mature tree peony, just a small handful of stuff like that.

Sorry for the long post - had a small run-in with the neighbor last night and am just feeling like I can't wait to get out of here (as much as I love my garden...), so it's weighing on my mind today - though DH and I decided a while ago we are going to move, that really isn't new news.

Thanks for reading, and would love to hear replies how you guys would feel about the situation. :)

Comments (16)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County