SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariannese

The cruelest month in a cruel climate

mariannese
10 years ago

Not April but March. My roses are slowly recovering from the devastating effects of the terrible March weather with drying daytime sun and icy nights that kept the ground from thawing. Winter was not particularly cold but March was the coIdest on record since1888. I lost 8 roses and while the rest of them live I've had to cut down lots and lots of the oncebloomers to a foot or less. They were withered black or brown. This means no flowers from them this summer and the many gaps have totally changed the look of the garden. The snow stayed the whole month so smaller shrubs and bushes were protected and will flower as usual.

I know now which of my roses are totally hardy. Among them are Agnes, Stanwell Perpetual, Hansa, Martin Frobisher, Lac Majeau, Moje Hammarberg, Nevada, Rosa californica Plena, Fruehlingsduft, Flammentanz, Aicha, Claus Groth, Chloris, Princesse de Lamballe, Polareis, Therese Bugnet, Complicata, Geschwinds Nordlandrose, Gilda, Geschwinds Orden, Polstjaernan, Blush Damask, Blush Boursault, Double White, all species and most gallicas. Gallicas that are hybrid chinas have fared less well, Cardinal de Richelieu and Duchesse de Montebello among them.

I am not alone. It is the same all over Sweden except in the far north where March was normal with deep snow cover. The rest of us have now experienced what is normal up north, an extremely short spring. Flowers that usually flower from February to May compressed their flowering to one month. Forsythias bloomed with viburnums and lilacs. Snowdrops bloomed with wood anemones and cowslips. Evergreens are dry and brown in gardens and in nature, 80 year old hedges have died and many rhododendrons are lost. My rhodos are mostly in deep shade so I've lost only a few of those I planted in autumn. It's summer now and the garden is very green, a few species roses are over but most are are in bud. I am practising selective perception and try to enjoy what's there and overlook what isn't.

Marianne in Sweden

This post was edited by mariannese on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 6:11

Comments (8)