SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Still hoping for an ID on this rose

melissa_thefarm
15 years ago

I posted this on the antique roses forum and didn't get any response, and, now that I think about it, this is very likely a modern rose. So I'm copying my message here, still hoping for an ID.

This was grown from a cutting from a friend's garden. She doesn't know the name, because it came to her mislabeled. Here are some pics taken this morning:

{{gwi:264871}}

{{gwi:264872}}

{{gwi:264874}}

As you can see, this rose is a pretty, friendly creature, with clusters of 2"-3" double flowers of a fresh shade of pink, with little to no fragrance. The plant looks like it wants to be a climber. It is blooming on a couple of long canes it grew last year, while currently growing new canes. The flowers are on laterals, and it's already making new laterals from the same nodes, which makes me think it is reflowering, though I'm not sure about it. Last year was the first time it bloomed. The foliage is a rather light green, with long, pointed leaves, abundant, handsome, and absolutely healthy; the canes are smooth, reddish when young, with few large thorns. It is an unfussy rose, to put it mildly. It looks like it might have Wichuriana in its ancestry, but also has some of the look of grace and health that some Hybrid Musks have, though unfortunately not their fragrance. The freshness and purity of the flowers reminds me of 'Bonica' (which this is not): the photo shows them a little past their prime and the morning after a deluge of rain which they came through gracefully. I don't know whether it sets hips. I think this might be a fairly recent hybrid, but I have no idea what it is: any ideas? Thanks!

Melissa

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES