SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qsf7

Nitrogen loss via ammonia

qsf7
10 years ago

This is my first time composting and I have overloaded my DIY trashcan composter with too much N and it reaks like ammonia. How much N will be lost if this keeps up?

I added equal parts C:N by weight but have overloaded N somehow. I have been using some horse manure/bedding that has been aging for about a year as my C source, I figured that it would be more on the C side due to the amount of visible hay or straw. To get it started I added 3 pounds of pure hen manure from the garden center with 3 lbs horse manure, then about 1 or 2 lbs blood and bone meal mix with the same amount horse manure. I also added a few lbs of blended kitchen scraps and a few lbs of straw, I was getting suspicious of the horse poo after the ammonia smell became obvious.

My trash can is about 3/4 full so Im thinking of getting another trash can to split the pile into two and then filling the remainder of both with mowed over dried leaves to try and even out the C:N ratio. Will this work or am I screwed and need to start over?

Comments (23)