SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reedrune

Would like any thoughts on climbers, arbors and/or zone 4

reedrune
14 years ago

Hello all!

We are thinking of putting in some climbing roses in our backyard. I would like to use an arbor to get the best sun exposure (small yard, house too hot - faces West - fence too shady...)

So any words of advice re. choosing a rose variety, choosing and installing an arbor, and/or growing climbing roses on an arbor would be very, very welcome.

On the variety: I do have an America and Josephs Robe that I got at a local nursery (Linders, for anyone in the neighborhood). According to the rose folks there, these two need only have the canes taken down and covered up with hay in the winter. I'm not against trading them in, if these are really bad in our zone. Also, frangrance is of relatively high importance to me - at least ONE side, I'd like to have fragrance (assuming I plant one on either side).

As far as hardy climbers - my neighbor has Ramblin' Red and has had awful luck with them the past two years - total die back, only gets 4 feet or so high during the summer. I was looking at William Baffin, but was more drawn to the coral/yellow colors in America and Jo's Robe. All the other Canadians (John Davis? Etc.) I'm leary of because I have NOT been impressed with the Explorer shrub roses I have, although the Parklands I have are awesome.

I don't mind doing a little extra tending for the not super hardy, but would like to see the climbers get some height over time.

As far as choosing and installing an arbor - we are thinking the wire look more sturdy, although we like the look of the white painted arches. Not big fans of the white vinyl-painted look alike. What is the best way to may sure these don't fall over? Concrete footings? Strange question, but we have a ton of left over thinset from laying tile... could we use that?

And finally, growing/training on arbors. I'm having a hard time understanding how to train horizontally (to get buds from the ground up rather than just the tips?) on such a small area - most of the arbors I've looked at are 24" deep or so.

Thanks for anyone who has anything to offer on any of these points!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting