SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

need help comparing two soil test results

njitgrad
9 years ago

I just got my 2nd soil test results back from Rutgers. This was the first followup test since my original test two years ago when my soil was first delivered. I've made several ammendments in the past two years so variations were anticipated.

The first item of interest was that my pH went from a 6.5 to 7.23 making it slightly alkaline.

In the area of macronutrients the items that increased (parts per acre) were Phosporous (from 672 to 730), Calcium (from 4051 to 6445) and Magnesium (from 747 to 968). The only item that decreased was Potassium (from 2010 to 1613). All macronutrients are still at ABOVE OPTIMUM LEVELS.

In the area of micronutrients the items of interest that increased (parts per million - rounded) were Zinc (from 22 to 31) and Copper (from 3 to 13). Those that decreased were Manganese (from 74 to 70) and Iron (from 334 to 295).

I also had the soluble salt test done this time to get an idea of how good (or bad) the addition of composted manure to my beds was this spring. Even though I have no baseline to compare it against, I don't know how to interpret the results. Any advice would be appreciated.

The thing that really stuck out in the pH results section was that they recommended to NOT ADD ANY COMPOST to the soil. Why??? How can any amount of vegetative compost (leaves, kitchen scraps, coffee grinds) make my soil any more alkaline? Please advise because my plan was to top dress more vegetative compost monthly.

Do any of the large changes in measurements (like Calcium and Copper) sound alarming to anyone? If so, why?

Below are pics of the report as well as a view of what my garden looks like today. It certainly "seems" to be well balanced as everything is growing nicely in the beds (with the exception of some cukes I recently pulled due to Angular Leaf).

{{gwi:295962}}

{{gwi:295963}}

{{gwi:295964}}

{{gwi:295965}}

{{gwi:295967}}

{{gwi:295969}}

{{gwi:295971}}

{{gwi:295972}}

{{gwi:295973}}

{{gwi:295974}}

{{gwi:295976}}

Comments (9)