SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hortster

Serious composting sins...

hortster
13 years ago

Bless me Compost God, for I have sinned.

Sometimes the best way to cope with oneÂs failures and sins is to confess. Perhaps one can save others from the sin and the pain and gain atonement.

I have been doing horticulture for a long time. A really long time. I knew better. But it happened anyway.

My compost piles have been making my gardens and landscaping happy for years. Sweet stuff. Four piles, one hot, one not (but aging for next year), one being screened and used and the last pile  beautiful and screened and ready to use for whatever. But last year I goofed, big time.

The pile that was aging (to be used the following season, meaning THIS year) was covered with crabgrass because I failed to eradicate it in time. Because it had rained and rained I finally waded out and pulled it, but not before it had gone to seed. I threw the greens in the middle of the hot pile surrounded them with non-noxious OM and covered them up. Those seeds are surely, by now, toast. However, NOT the seeds that fell on the top of the pile to be screened and used for this year.

I do an "every other year" three inch layer on the veggie garden and till it in. I never fertilize and everything grows its buttuski off for the next couple of years because of the wonderful compost. This was the year to add. Oh, crabgrass also grows its buttuski off when enjoying the benefits of compost.

Obviously the seed on top from last year had not been heated while the pile was hot and, I must admit, I have given a new look to the "Chia" concept. The Chia veggie garden. Finally this weekend the wife and I have regained total control. Stopped it before any crabgrass seed could form! Compost God, I promise never to sin again!

DonÂt make my mistake! The penance is not worth the sin.

hortster

Comments (5)