SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mendopete

Newbie's first serious week of composting

mendopete
14 years ago

Hello everyone, my name is Pete and I just discovered this wonderful web site!. As a life-long gardener with a natural "green thumb", I have had no training and have learned much reading these very informative forums! It validates many of my own observations and fills in the many gaps. Thank you all!! Monday I began with my first ever trip to our local starbucks- 100lbs of grounds. Tuesday I shoveled and brought home about 1.5 yards of aged horse manure full of red wigglers. Wednesday brought 15 burlap coffee bean sacks, cardboard, 200lbs more coffee grinds,30lbs kelp, onion and lettuce starts, and some pallets. I spent thursday and friday putting together 3 compost piles and a interbay heap/row, in addition to prep and plant onions and lettuce. My worm bin is full and I am ready for the rain. Todays heap consisted of equal parts manure, coffee grinds, and straw ( coastal northern Californa, few broad leaves). The mound (4x4) was covered with wet burlap. What do you think? Any suggestions fo a good garden shredder that would handle thick cardboard. I think my back hurts..

Comments (17)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals