SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hantra

Thank goodness my Craftsman blew up! (x300)

hantra
16 years ago

All:

I am SO glad my Craftsman DYS4500 blew up on the second mow! If I hadn't had the terrible experience with this Craftsman POS, I would never have spent the money on the Deere X300 I have now.

On a whim I bought the DYS4500 at a Friends and Family night at Sears. I got a smoking deal on it, and thought I had done a good thing. When it arrived a few weeks later, I borrowed a friend's trailer and picked it up. When I brought it home, it didn't crank. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Sears, and they told me I needed to go get a battery charger. LOL!

Borrowed a charger from a neighbor, and it actually cranked. But the hour meter said 82 hours. Hmmmm. . . Another hour on the phone with Sears and I'm told the "key was probably left on", and that if I wanted to reset it, I could unplug the meter for two hours. I went ahead and cut grass with it and then unplugged the meter. It never reset.

After mow 1 I found a couple of neat looking heavy bolts in the driveway. They weren't there before I mowed, and they didn't look like they came off the BMW.

Starting the mower for the second mow, there was some black plastic that shot out from under the deck. I assumed that was what was being held on by the mystery bolts. It still cut, so I cut with it. The tractor sounded like it was going to fall apart every time I mowed with it, but I figured they all sounded like this. I thought a lawn tractor was a lawn tractor.

Third mow. Two strips down, and the mower stops moving. It just won't go anymore. Another hour on the phone with Sears and they say they may be able to get someone out to my house next Wednesday between 12 and 5PM.

I was so pissed, I went immediately to the JD dealer and asked him when he could bring me an X300. He said "I can have it there by 4". I signed up and paid the man. This was a huge step for me b/c I hadn't planned on spending close to $3K on a tractor, but I just wanted something that would run, and didn't sound like it wanted to explode, and fall apart.

Ten seconds after I got on the X300 in my driveway, I was absolutely stunned how the thing drove, and how smooth it was. I had no idea there were such massive differences between these things. After I cut with it, I was just that much more impressed. I actually wanted to ride down the block and cut everyone's yard!

I've since mowed 2 more times with the X300, and I can't express how much better I feel about this tractor. The only sound that worries me is wondering whether I am at full throttle or not b/c it sounds like the engine is barely working at all!

I'm a big boy, and the DYS4500 with its "24 HP" would just about STOP when going up my little slope out front. The X300 with its 17 HP will pop wheelies up the same slope, and I haven't lost any weight. ;-)

The reason I wanted to post this long, drawn out saga, is to let everyone know just how much difference there is among tractors, and the importance of getting on the thing before you buy it.

My JD dealer is kind of indifferent and isn't all that friendly, but I have no doubt he'll take care of me if I have issues. I can't say that about Sears.

I'm sold on my X300, and on John Deere. Thanks for all the advice on these forums. You all steered me to the X300 over the LA series, and I feel good about it!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations