SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ns_gardener

Deere X300 or Kubota T1770

ns_gardener
16 years ago

Hello folks,

I'm new to this group because like so many others I started looking for a ride-on two weeks ago. This is a bit long so please go easy. This is my journey so far... It's for an acre of residential property with some easy slopes and it's share of obstacles in the way of low-branched trees and rhodos. I started looking in the $1500 - 2K ( Canadian ) range knowing full well there was some 'drool flexibility'. Well, after reading many posts here with a lot of good info and visiting dealers and the big stores, I'm nearing the point where I have to just do it. Also, mowing day is coming. Ironically, though I believe that in the range I described most any machine would, with proper care, probably do it for me, there were many intangibles I had trouble resolving. Some opinions here are more balanced than others and there are definitely a few stronger personalities and opinions here and that's OK. Where there's smoke, there's sometimes fire.

While I was making the rounds and getting the sales pitches I knew I would be doing my own work but would need the manufacturer/vendor in the event of a defect or problem beyond my expertise. Sears and the big box stores are polite but didn't know much more than they could read on the computer screen and couldn't answer many questions. They also had limited selection and delivery was extra. The landscape supply places were much better informed about their products as one might expect but of the four I visited, the two that sold Toro and CC wouldn't admit the machines were almost identical although one bashed the other's product. Ironically he said " You pay more for the RED" His machine was $200 more! At this point, I still was and am looking at a variety of machines including Craftsman, Deere, and Kubota. Wait, did I say Kubota?

Well, you guys did it to me! Or maybe I secretly wanted this to happen. I started looking to see other possibilities. I like long-term stuff and when I retire, I'll probably work the machine harder. Sooooo a visit to the Kubota dealer and then the Deere dealer. It was clear that the Kubota guy was more used to selling heavier equipment than the little toys but he was attentive and polite. He knew his stuff. It seems that all the really good used gear gets snapped up by employees and their friends before you even see it. In the T series interestingly enough the 1570 and I think the 1670 have steel front axles! albeit pretty sturdy ones. We looked at the 1770 as well (twin). I thanked him and headed for the JD place. Right away you could tell there was this, I hate to say it, comfortable feeling. Headquarters must be training their dealers for the slice I live in. A basic showroom crammed with a huge selection of machines and accessories. Sales guy Rupe ( you gotta love the name) was knowlegeable and though he had me try both the 120 and the X324? ( 4WS was amazing) he felt that the 110 or 120 would be fine for me. He was the only one to offer free delivery forty miles away. Still thinking down the road I have that bigger one in my mind. I guess Rupe did his job well! Pricing is firm and identical to the HD - probably JD rules. Financing at about 9.25% And then the Kubota guy calls and without prompting offers me a deal on the T1770. A couple hundred more than the X300; 2 years / no interest or 5years 3.9%....Both service departments looked busy.

Another factor that many of you know all too well is that a used JD or Kubota sells better than other brands regardless of anybody's religion. At this point I just have a couple questions.

Is this Kubota T1770 about equivalent to the JD X300?

Are they that $1500 better than the LA120 or similarly priced and equipped Craftsman?

Thank for your advice

Chris

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions