SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tklahr

Trying to decide between the X300 and X320

tklahr
14 years ago

IÂve done my research, and I am mostly set on a JD X300. But I keep coming back to SlammerÂs rule #1: pick the size you need and go one bigger. Well, my problem is that IÂm not sure if the X300 is the size I need or if it is already one bigger.

HereÂs my situation.

Small (1/2-3/4 acre), flat yard with some obstacles but pretty easy mow. The X300 is probably much more tractor than I need for seven months of the year. IÂm definitely a few bigger there. We get a ton of leaves in the fall, and I prefer to bag rather than spend an entire day raking leaves 6-10 times through Oct/Nov. So I'm OK there too.

My biggest concern is plowing. We have a large driveway and parking area  WAY too big to shovel. We also have a blower, but it doesnÂt work well for a lot of the heavy slop we get in southeast PA, and a plow is a lot faster most of the time. IÂve read a lot of posts here about the X300, including a few that say it is sufficient for plowing snow. But I hesitate to pull the trigger on the 300 because of the lesser transmission (compared to the 320). I know we might only get a handful of plowable snows each year, but want to make sure whatever I buy can handle a moderate snowfall on occasion.

The dealer said the 300 is capable, but also said he'd go with the 320. That didn't really help much.

Am I crazy to consider the 320 for just a couple of snows a year? Is the 300 MORE than capable?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Comments (21)