SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herefordnc

Looking to buy X300 JDeere, will the K46 trans hold up?

herefordnc
17 years ago

I consulted with my longtime mower mechanic (30+ yrs experience) and he suggested I look at John Deere riding mowers. Been reading for a few weeks on this very informative forum and thought I would seek your advice.

I need a frame that will last as I am tall and heavy. Do not want to spend more than $3500+/-. Prefer the Kawasaki motor and do not need nor want AWS (rules out X304). My acre lawn is old, fairly flat and established w/ several tree roots from stately oaks. Based on all those factors, the X300/42" seems like the best match for my needs. I've sat on one and it seemed like a good fit.

However, I am leary the X300 includes the K46 trans vs. the K58. Should it be a huge concern and why? How long has JD used the K46 in their riders? Ia the K58 a newer transmission than the K46?

FWIW, I always pamper my purchases with the best of care and maintenance. I am not rough with mowers.

This will be my first purchase of a new mower in 17 years. Like most things these days, the quality has certainly gone downhill and that worries me, too.

I have considered other brands but eliminated most for various reasons. For example, I have a Simplicity dealer 15 minutes away but their service dept.is gawd awful. The nearest Kubota dealer does not have anything in stock suitable for residential use. His advice was to order whatever I wanted, BUT I would HAVE to take it. No thanks!!

If y'all have other suggestions, please post 'em. And please let me know if you think the K46 tranny, X300 with 42" cut will be a reliable riding mower. Whatever I buy, I want it to last a long time (10-15 years). Hopefully, we'll both retire at the same time (14 years to go)!

Thank you for the kind help.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions