SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wkneis

John Deere X300 Series Dilemna

wkneis
14 years ago

My Scotts 2046 (made by JD) is on its last legs - the K51 Tuff Torq transmission is fried, and despite my modest repair attempts, I don't think it's prudent to invest in a full re-build of the trans. That said, it's time to decide on a new tractor, and since there are no local Cub Cadet service centers (Morris County, NJ), I'm pretty much narrowed down to the X300 series - and I'm hoping that those with more experience can help me sort through the options to select the best model for my needs.

My yard (1.75 acres) is a combination of relatively flat area with several hills. My Scotts 2046 regularly scalped the hills and cut lines in the inclines. There are lots of evergreen trees (those blue spruces do a number on both me and on the tractor)that drop pine cones and short needles everywhere, and I do use the tractor to pick up leaves, which I bag and put into compost bins. I'd love to be able to mulch, but I've never had any luck. The grass grows too fast, and I've always ended up with clumps, so I've typcally had to bag the grass and take whatever I can't compost (which is most of it) to the town recycling center. I have a PowerFlow bagger unit on my Scotts, which does a decent job of picking up grass and leaves, but it really sticks out far and takes a beating from all the trees. I've had to patch the entire housing with sheet metal to keep it sealed.

I borrowed my neighbor's JD LA110 (42" deck)to cut this weekend, and while it cuts well, I had to constantly stop the tractor to clean out the lower (non-powered)chute. I'd immediately regret buying a tractor like that that wouldn't pick up properly. Given my past experiences, what's important to me, in no particular order, are:

1. Quality of cut - I'd consider a smaller, 2-blade deck (42")to improve the quality (which, along w cost, rules out the X500 series)

2. Mulching capability / convenience - It would be great to not have to change blades (which you need to on the 304)

3. Ease of service / removing deck

4. Quality / Durability of Transmission - I could step up to the X320/324 for a K62 transmission. I do occasionally pull a dethatcher or plug aerator, so decent torque and adequate HP is important.

5. Agility - Is not getting the 4-wheel steering something I'd really regret after-the-fact? Going with a smaller 42" deck, even if I go with the X324 (which is admittedly starting to really stretch my budget), I'd still be leaving a decent size uncut patch

6. CAPABLE bagging system, that won't readily clog. I'm intrigued by the 300R, which I know is more popular in Europe. While I'd give up some things (like 4w steering), I like the idea of no side projection. It sounds like a nice system, BUT it's set up to DUMP grass, not to allow me to unload the hopper bags, which is actually more convenient for me. I could always consider adding something like a Cyclone Rake to bag (which would be great for pine needles and cones), but then I'm back to a large side projection, and the thought of dragging a trailer behind me with lots of low-hanging branches, and possibly navigating it with 4w steering doesn't thrill me.

So there you have it....Apparently, I want it all, but can't seem to find it in a single model. I'd greatly appreciate ANY insights, particularly from those of you who have some experience with the various X300 models.

Comments (13)

Sponsored