SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pbl_ge

Tell me about Boltonia?

pbl_ge
11 years ago

Hi All,

I recently bought 3 Boltonia Snowbank from Bluestone (yay, sale!). I'm pretty sure I've never seen one of these in person, and they didn't look at all like what I expected. We haven't been able to get them in the ground as quickly as we hoped, so they're now all impressively big (over 2') SINGLE stalks--going straight up FAST. The pictures of them look so dainty! Didn't think this would be their behavior.

There is surprisingly little on this forum about Boltonia (only 14 hits, none of which have detail about its habits), so I thought it might be worth checking in with people about their experiences. A few specific questions come to mind:

Are these huge single stalks going to eventually branch? Should I cut it back as I plant it to encourage more growth from the roots?

The roots are also impressive (the coco pot seems like butter to them), and my recent reading has hinted at something I'd never heard before, specifically that it can be aggressive. Could you folks fill in a bit more info? Has it spread for you? Are there certain conditions that make it a thug?

Is this a plant that I will love, or will it be a meh?

Thanks for any and all input!

Comments (8)