SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tealeaf1012

help, I am a moron!!!

14 years ago

Hi,

I hope someone might be able to give me some advice. I am a new gardener. We bought a house recently that needs tons of landscaping help, so I have been a little overwhelmed lately trying to learn about plants, flowers and gardening....

Over the past two weeks I have been doing some planting outside. Apparently I hadn't really done any reading on SOIL !! I was using potting soil (usually miracle grow) to help amend my soil outside. Is this really that bad? I didn't realize that this was only for containers. I have no idea why the word "potting" didn't clue me in! Actually when I bought the soil at home depot I didn't see a lot of other options for some reason, so I assumed this was the right stuff.

So now I am worried.... I planted a knock out rose using this (actually seems to be doing beautifully at the moment)... I also planted a bridal wreath using this. Today I planted about seven perennial flowers in an area that I am beginning to try to turn into a nice flower bed. After I planted about 4 of them I finally realized my mistake. I didn't know what to do. I had a different bag in my backyard that I had bought at a gardening store...it is a organic soil amendment product. So I dug back out my perennials and added this instead.

My soil here is very sandy and doesn't look like it has a lot of nutrients, so when I dug the holes I really tried to use mostly these products with just a little of my sandy soil mixed in.

Is this ok? is it ok if there is still a lot of the potting soil mixed in? Will the problems occur later on down the road?

Do I have to dig out the rose and bridal wreath and fix these too? What is the major problem with using potting soil when planting in an outdoor garden?

Sorry for the zillion questions!!!! I appreciate your expertise. This is hard work but I really am enjoying learning about gardening. I think I jumped the gun and began planting too soon without researching enough, but we really needed to get moving on fixing this house up!

Thank you so much!!!

Tara

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions