SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joycegriffin_gw

To Compost or To not compost...that is the question

joycegriffin
12 years ago

I am a newbie gardener. OK actually I started 3 years ago but I tend to let it all die come July. This year I am determined to keep at it.

With the exception of my vegetable garden, my backyard is an overgrown mess! It was a rental property for 10 years before we bought it, and in the 5 years we've had it we haven't done much with it either. I have a ton of overgrown crappy trees (Hackberry or so I'm told) as well as a lot of fence line "volunteer saplings" from the birds eating and pooping out the hackberries. I would like to start cutting it all back or get rid of it all together (depending on the size of the tree...I don't think I could get the big ones cut down.).

I bought a chainsaw and started whacking down limbs (my husband just shakes his head and tells me to be careful). It was then that I realized (OK...I don't always think things through)I am going to have to do something with all of these limbs. Bulk trash for the month just passed so unless I call someone to haul it all away, I'm stuck until next month. Needless to say I stopped cutting things down for the day.

THEN I started wondering...I have been wanting to start a compost bin this fall. I don't have access currently to much in the way of "browns" currently and thought I'd collect leaves this fall. From the little bit of reading I've done, I think wood chips would be brown. Right?

Is it feasible to cut a lot of it and then rent a wood chipper from Home Depot? Is that something that is feasible?

Comments (6)