SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samirasoni

newbie questions about composting

Hi All,

I am completely new to composting. I have a whole wheelie bin full of grass clippings and loads of cardboard.

I have bought 2 plastic compost bins (330ltr) each and I am thinking of starting composting on those. Bins are shown in this link.

bins link

What is best way to start it? Are grass clippings and carboard good to start or should i give away the grass and start with only vegetable peelings etc from kitchen? I am not in hurry and can start slow.

Comments (79)

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks all. I am learning a lot. Yes flora these bins i got through council and i have small garden. I have put it as far away as i could. I have been putting kitchen scraps and today i noticed there are loads of fruit flies inside bin. Is it normal? I just closed the lid immediately after putting scraps. I have been putting only veg and fruit scraps, no cooked food or dairy.
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

Fruit flies are not a problem. They won't hurt you and they don't spread disease. They'll move on when the fresh fruity stuff is rotted. Add some paper, card, dried leaves, etc. if it looks as if it's getting too sloppy. Which it might if it is predominantly kitchen scraps.

• Related Discussions

Newbie Compost/Safety Questions

Q

Comments (2)
    All sounds like standard good compost additions and certainly nothing harmful for growing food. The brown bags are made for composting so quite safe and while fresh manure use around food has concerns, composted is fine. You may want to do some reading over on the Soil & Compost forum here for lots more details on the whole "connection between dirt and food". ;) You have built what is sometimes referred to as a "lasagna bed" so Google 'lasagna garden' too for even more tips and techniques. Happy gardening. Dave
    ...See More

Newbie composter question about UCG's

Q

Comments (4)
    I've noticed a good soaking rain keeps mine too wet. I've since covered it with tarps (bad odor after rain=too much water). My rule of thumb for my compost pile is if it naturally decomposes and used to be a plant, it goes in the compost pile. A lot of people add bones and meat products to theirs, and the only reason I don't is because my dogs would tear my piles up. It sounds like you need more greens in your pile. I am new to this too, but you are definitely in the right place to get help with composting, the posters on here are wonderful, and no question is a dumb question. They have taught me a lot in a few short weeks.
    ...See More

Newbie question about compost

Q

Comments (6)
    In a properly made compost pile that the bacteria are working on and generating heat the material will be too hot for earthworms, which is why in a compost pile earthworms are not significant processors of the material. Red worms, or Red Wigglers, work in a vermicomposting process which is different then regular composting. Vermicomposting materials are kept wetter than a compost pile since the worms need much more moisture then would the bacteria that are digesting the materiasl in that compost pile. Here is a link that might be useful: Composting Tutorial
    ...See More

newbie question on compost

Q

Comments (5)
    Welcome to the forum, James. I'm not clear if you're talking about leaves already on the ground or leaves yet to fall. Also not clear is the weed killer type...sprayed or granular. If the weed killer was sprayed onto already fallen leaves (probably not) then I would not use those leaves for compost. If it was a granular product then I would prolly use the leaves but only after a good rain had fallen or otherwise well-watered into the soil. Otherwise, I'd pass on the already-fallen leaves (weed-killer contaminated). Wait an collect some freshly fallen ones after the old ones have been collected & disposed of.
    ...See More
  • daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks. I will add some paper, cards etc.

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

If you can get straw, sawdust or wood shavings, shredded wood or shredded yard waste, that will work dandy for covering food scraps. Always keep them covered with something and you'll have fewer fruit flies.

• gardenshine
    8 years ago

Daisy, as I am reading this I can see you are getting a lot of conflicting information. The absolute best advice I can give you it to go out and get yourself this book : Let it Rot! The Gardner's Guide to Composting by Stu Campbell. Cost me $12.95 a few years ago. Hands down the best and easiest to read of any compost book I have ever run across in all my 35 years in the Horticulture field.

• kimmq
    8 years ago

Daisy, are those fruit flies or fungus gnats?

Did you put a fair amount of rotting fruit in that compost, uncovered, or is the material you are composting quite damp?

Fungus gnats are more common in a too wet compost pile. Fruit flies are only a problem if a fair amount of fruit is put in and not covered.

kimmq is kimmsr

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I will check images of fungus gnats. The pile has lots of fruit and vegetable scraps on top now particularly orange and banana peels. Shall i add something on top? Shreded paper or cardboard?
  • kimmq
    8 years ago

Fruit and vegetable scraps put into a compost pile should always be covered with something, shredded leaves or shredded paper, but something. Leaving that material uncovered is simply inviting unwanted vermin in.

kimmq is kimmsr

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Daisy - they are almost certainly fruit flies. I don't recall ever noticing fungus gnats outdoors. Fruit flies are not a problem apart from being a bit off-putting when they fly up in your face. Put the lid on the bin or a bit of newspaper over the top of the fruit scraps. Or do a bit of weeding and put the corpses on the top.

daisy08(London UK) thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Can i add a thin layer of paper to cover it after adding kitchen scrap. Shredding paper takes time and doesnt cover properly. I dont have dry leaves in the garden except from holly which are hard to handle.
  • daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I meant thin layer of whole paper not shredded one.
  • chigardenlady
    8 years ago

U can cover it with dirt but when u add greens u need to add Brown's to balance it out

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

Daisy, you could use a sheet of newspaper but it would be better to tear it up a bit. Edges begin to decompose quicker than continuous sheets. I add paper while the compost pot is still in the kitchen. Sugar and flour bags, envelopes, greengrocer's paper bags, receipts, torn up bills, tissues, kitchenroll. It helps keep the compost caddy from being too soggy, gets rid of waste paper and helps the compost get going. Whatever you do, don't get hung up on the intricacies of ratios, etc. and don't start worrying that you are doing something 'wrong'. Some people love to analyse their composting activities and the making is of more interest to them than the gardening or environmental sides. But remember that everything that ever lived rots in the end.

You do not need to add earth to your compost heap.

• User
    8 years ago

I'm curious to hear why people seem to dismiss the concept of adding soil to compost. Is there some logic to why we should not add dirt, especially clay soil, to compost?

• gumby_ct
    8 years ago

You can add soil but it is not needed.

I add soil from old pots, etc. I have also added compost which has weed seeds to the center of a hot pile. Not to cool it down but to kill the weed seeds.

• chigardenlady
    8 years ago

Who says it is not needed? When u bury things they decompose very quickly.my pile is on the ground so when I turn it I mix in dirt from bottom n around the outside to throughly turn and mix it.works well for me.extra plants with the dirt they were started in goes into the pile.end of season after frost I empty pots plants and dirt into pile. Not enough Brown's I use dirt.partially composted it gets mixed in with dirt.compost is simple it's gonna happen anyway.u can put whole paper but if it is multiple sheets it gets very thick and takes a lot longer.I add whole Brown paper from packages and grocery bags.receipts contain some toxic chemical I forget which one so I wouldnt use those. When I was pregnant I read some where u should decline the reciept so u don't have to touch it unless u have on gloves. In my opinion adding dirt will speed up compost. Also buried compost attracts less flies and rats.

• gumby_ct
    8 years ago

It was me....Gumby I said and I meant it - YOU can compost perfectly fine without adding dirt - perhaps YOU have NOT tried it BUT it does/will work AND the pile will heat up just fine withOUT adding any dirt.

It was me Gumby who also said:
    "I add soil from old pots, etc. I have also added compost which has weed seeds to the center of a hot pile. Not to cool it down but to kill the weed seeds."

Gumby said:

"You can add soil but it is not needed."

AND certainly you can add newspapers - whole, cut, chopped, shredded, crumpled or otherwise..

chigardenlady(5b) said: "compost is simple it's gonna happen anyway."

So don't complicate it - Gumby said it.

• chigardenlady
    8 years ago

In my opinion and in my compost pile dirt soil earth however you call it it is needed. If you add manure do you think there is No dirt? No matter how hot the compost is it is still going to have some seeds. Weeds and otherwise. I have tried not adding dirt when I first started to compost and had a plastic bin. Didn't work out so well and took forever and had uneven heating. No matter what you do the compost is going to happen, however what you add determines the quality of your finished product and also how soon you will get it.

• ryan8king_sc_lowcountry_z8
    8 years ago

Dirt is totally NOT a necessary ingredient to a compost pile. If some soil gets into the process, the organisms contained in said soil certainly could spread throughout the pile/bin/tumbler/whatever and assist in the decomposition process - but - are not required because everything that has ever lived will deteriorate naturally without any added inputs.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

I also wrote that you do not need to add earth. Note the word need. If you want to add earth that's fine but it is not necessary.

'Not enough Brown's I use dirt'. Earth isn't a 'brown'.

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Tearing and adding papers to the kitchen caddy is good idea. I am going to do that :)
  • kimmq
    8 years ago

Sir Albert Howards original recipe for making a compost pile included covering each layer, about 6 inches of vegetative waste, about 2 inches of animal manure, with 1/8 inch of good soil to introduce the necessary bacteria into the mix. Today we know that the bacteria that will digest the material put in to be composted are already present on that material so adding some soil to the mix is not necessary.

kimmq is kimmsr

• chigardenlady
    8 years ago

Reading how to grow more vegtables by John jeavons rite now and the first chapter on composting gives the compost recipe and inculdes 10% soil. Quick quote " the use of soil is important because it enables the pile to hold moisture better, facilitating the decompostion of the pile. Contains microbes that enable the pile to decompose more easily. Holds many of the nutrient laden compost juices keeping them from leaching out."

• kimmq
    8 years ago

That so many have flies of various kinds in their compost and since flies need a fairly moist environment to hatch from eggs and live in t4ells me that holding moisture in the compost pile is not as much a problem as Jeavons appears to think.

Sir Albert Howard also though that soil was needed to inoculate the compost with the need bacteria to digest that material, but today we know that most all of what we put in to compost already has the bacteria that will digest it on that material. Adding soil to introduce those bacteria, or microbes, is not necessary. If there is a flow of "juices" from a compost pile that is an indication the pile is too wet.

kimmq is kimmsr

• Beth Walsh
    8 years ago

I've got a Composter bin from Home Depot. It spins on metal "legs" . I add in leaves, grass clippings, fruit, veggie scraps, coffee, wine, egg shells, paper scraps. Problem is it never gets "hot". Stuff breaks down slowly over a period of months. What can I do to speed the process?

i also piled excess leaves in a corner last year. 4' by 10', about 2' high. I left it exposed to the air in a shady section of the yard and it broke down nicely. I use some in the compost bin, add it to the garden and dug a trench and added a bunch.

• kimmq
    8 years ago

How hot any compost pile will get depends on the volume of material and the mix of material. There needs to be enough volume, generally about 1 cubic yard or more and a mix that is about 30 parts Carbon to 1 part Nitrogen. Then the moisture in the mix has to be just enough and not too much so the bacteria that work on the material have enough air. Too much moisture displaces the air needed for those bacteria to work.

Ma Nature has made leaves as about the best compost material there is with a Carbon to Nitrogen ratio of about 40 to 1 just after they fall, very close to the optimal of 30:1. Leaves also contain a fairly balanced level of nutrients to feed the Soil Food Web that feeds the plants growing in that soil.

kimmq is kimmsr

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

Beth, search this forum for "Tumbler" and you'll find a lot of threads about using and managing compost tumblers!

They are generally too small to heat up much, especially if you are adding small amounts over time. The initial fast decomposition phase that produce heat occurs in the first few days after adding fresh material to the pile. Thus a hot pile pretty much requires making one big pile (big enough to retain heat) with enough fresh material to PRODUCE heat. As long as you get compost you're fine, but your situation won't produce much heat.

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Is it ok to put pine needles in compost bin? Also will they count as green or brown? They look brown on the soil though.
  • gumby_ct
    8 years ago

Certainly you can. However, since they take a long time to decompose, I prefer to use pine needles as a mulch .

daisy08(London UK) thanked gumby_ct
  • daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

last wednesday i mowed overgrown grass and put all clippings in the compost bin. i was away for 3-4 days and today i checked the pile. It had compacted from how i had left it and was hot!

i tried to mix it but couldnt do much and the steam was coming out and i could smell amonia. I added some shreded newpaper and tried to mix it a bit.

Is it in ok state or should i do something about it. I have some cardboard but it is a bit hard and i cant break it up without making wet. should i add wet cardboard pieces ot leave it all as it is? The pile is wet.

• armoured
    8 years ago

Just my opinion: I would leave it alone until the hot phase is complete. Then you can turn, mix, fluff, add cardboard pieces or whatever you like. It will probably heat up again, repeat until it doesn't heat up anymore.

As for details it depends what you are trying to achieve: fastest composting or laziness or whatever. Again, just my experience, but the main thing to try to avoid is it getting too compacted, matted, and slimy, which can mainly be avoided by turning / 'fluffing.'

But don't worry about it too much. Experiment and see what works for you next time around, maybe by combining with other browns when making your pile, or maybe just by cutting and mulching 'in place' on your lawn.

• daisy08(London UK)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you. I have fluffed it a bit and left it alone for now.
  • Val
    8 years ago

kimmq wrote: Mix the material to be composted 1 part of a high Nitrogen source (grass clippings) to 3 parts of a high Carbon source (the cardboard) with just enough water to slightly moisten the material. Keep in mind that this mix will have limited nutritional value, the more material of different kinds you add to the mix the better the nutrient value of the finished compost.

In my limited time gardening, I have heard that ratio -- 3 parts brown to 1 part green -- pretty consistently. That's about what I have achieved this summer in my compost bin as I try to not add to much grass. But here's what I don't understand. In looking at various composting sites, again, some that advocate the 3 part brown:1 part green, and they also state that the carbon to nitrogen ratio should be 30:1. If grass is 20:1 and leaves are 60:1, then two bags of grass (20+20=40) and one bag of leaves (60) equals 100. Divide by the three parts and you get 33:1.

So shouldn't the magic ratio be 2 parts green to 1 part brown?

• armoured
    8 years ago

The ratios are just rough guidelines and will depend on specifics. Grass can differ depending on time of year (spring is 'richer' in nitrogen. Things like kitchen wastes will have lower carbon ratios. And sometimes these ratios may refer to dry weights. Don't overthink it and experiment until you find what works for you.

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

Each material has a different ratio, so it's hard to pick one magic formula. It's even more complicated than that because, well, is it based on weight or volume? Charts rarely specify. If weight, is it dry weight? Because grass has a lot of moisture and dry leaves very little.

That's why it's good to 'observe and adjust'. You can tell if a pile has too much of one or the other. But there's a range where it will compost just fine. Eventually you get the hang of what to put in. I do my grass/leaf mix by eye rather than strict measurement.

• Val
    8 years ago

Thanks for the follow up.

Armoured wrote: The ratios are just rough guidelines and will depend on specifics.

Sure, which ratio should I use?

toxcrusadr wrote: You can tell if a pile has too much of one or the other. But there's a range where it will compost just fine.

How can I tell?

• gumby_ct
    8 years ago

Honestly grass clippings (when made moist) will heat up and compost just fine. No recipe, no mixture needed. You can do the same with leafy green weeds or corn husks. Add browns if you wish.

You don't need a compost thermometer but it sure helps when you are trying to figure things out.

• armoured
    8 years ago

@Val: I think toxcrusadr was on the right track that the guidelines you saw (three to one?) were likely referring to volume, whereas most sources will talk about weight. And also very much right that e.g. grass will depend on how 'fresh' (how much moisture), etc. It's a lot like hay - first cutting will be very rich and usually more moist, later cuttings will be drier and have less nutrients (e.g. nitrogen). Also what kind of grass - so some might be just right straight off the mower. (I still think better to just mulch in place, but to each his own).

As for how you can tell: the ratios recommended are generally for hot composting, where it will heat up, and heat up again on subsequent turnings. If it gets too matted, smelly (like manure or ammonia), or wet and goopy (without adding water), you probably don't have enough browns. If it never heats up, it could be too much of either - e.g. cardboard on its own probably won't heat up, and dense wet kitchen scraps won't either - should be obvious which you have too little of.

Note that if you get the ratios 'wrong', it'll just be cold composting - which takes longer and more chance of weed seeds remaining in the compost. Opinions on this differ (as on everything else), but nothing wrong with cold composting if left long enough.

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

Spot on. I would add that the super hot, slimy and smelly pile (like a heap of fresh grass with no browns that smells like ammonia) is telling you that nitrogen is pouring out of it into the atmosphere. The browns help absorb N as they decompose, so it's captured in the compost and not wasted. Yes, virtually anything will become compost, but the rules of thumb we live by are intended to maximize the volume and quality of the product.

• John Donovan
    8 years ago

I actually have 2 compost piles. One is just leaves and the other is everything else. I have found leaves compost down just fine on there own and really make high quality compost. It also requires very little maintenance once you get it started. My other pile requires lots of turning and is composed of kitchen scraps, pulled weeds, cut grass and pruned bushes. I also have several large branches on the bottom of this pile to give it some drainage and wonder how long it will take these to break down.

• gumby_ct
    8 years ago

I will add that I compost fresh grass clippings on the regular basis and have absolutely no troubles. It really is a simple recipe = grass + water and prob the easiest for the beginner.

I never end up with a " super hot, slimy and smelly pile (like a heap of fresh grass with no browns that smells like ammonia) ".

So I will say that if you or someone you know is or does end up with " super hot, slimy and smelly pile (like a heap of fresh grass with no browns that smells like ammonia) " it either doesn't have enuff grass or has too much water.

Mother Nature has done it this way (water + greens or water + browns or an ever so slight mix of each) since the beginning of time w/o measuring or weighing the mixture.

Not unlike using a mulching mower - is it?

Hint: the grass only needs to be damp not wet. Damp like it would be IF you cut the grass after a rainfall = no mixing or no added water. Just gather, pile, let sit.

So I ask - What could be easier?

NO Container. NO Tumbler, NO Weighing, NO Problem. Why complicate things?

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

I don't know man. I'm not refuting your experience. All I can say is I've had grass/leaves blends that got up to 170+F and smelled like ammonia for a couple days. Could have been an excess of wood ash (high pH) which would certainly push the equilibrium toward ammonia.

In any case, I think it's worth mentioning to new composters to watch out for the odor issue. If it never happens to them, great.

• armoured
    8 years ago

"So I will say that if you or someone you know is or does end up with " super hot, slimy and smelly pile (like a heap of fresh grass with no browns that smells like ammonia) " it either doesn't have enuff grass or has too much water."

-OR it is different grass. OR something else is different from your situation/experience/conditions.

"So I ask - What could be easier?"

Using that mulching mower and leaving it in place. Unless - again - something is different.

• gumby_ct
    8 years ago

<"So I ask - What could be easier?"

Using that mulching mower and leaving it in place. Unless - again - something is different.>

IF you could get that mulch into the garden you would be on to something BIG. But I think that would be answered in one of the many "Lawn" forums here.

This topic is/was about

"newbie questions about composting"

• garrai818
    8 years ago

Is it necessary (or helpful) to shred your leaves and garden/small branch clippings before putting them in the compost pile?

Thanks.

• drmbear
    8 years ago

All organic matter stacked together will eventually compost down whether you shred it or not. Shredding it just gives it all a head start and increases the surface area to help things decay faster. My goal is for the piles I make up through the summer to be ready for use the next spring at planting time. Shredding everything up helps that to happen.

• garrai818
    8 years ago

Drmbear,

Thanks.

It looks like I will have to get some sort of shredder for my leaves and garden/small branch materials. I hate to get a gas-powered machine, but the reviews of the electrics are quite negative.

• gumby_ct
    8 years ago

You can use a lawnmower for leaves and very small branches - having a bagger is helpful too. If you put branches in a separate pile you will be surprised just how fast they do breakdown.

Leaves also make a very good mulch - shredding them helps to keep them from blowing around so easily.

• John Donovan
    8 years ago

I may be in the minority here but I just tear up my cardboard roughly by hand. I then put it into a 5 gallon bucket full of water, weigh the cardboard down with a couple of rocks and let it sit over night. I find leaves to be the perfect size to compost down. I will mow my lawn to pick up leaves but I don't go out of my way to break them down. I also tend to make a compost pile of just leaves that does really well on its own.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz