SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Lilian Austin! Where has she been all my life?

sherryocala
12 years ago

Lilian Austin has really amazed me. I was looking closely at her this evening and couldn't get over her foliage - deep green, plentiful and healthy without spraying. I guess no one has told her she's living in central Florida where black spot is king. I am loving this rose. She is so GREEN here that I can't get over it. No disease so far. She looks better than many teas that are looking pretty ratty now! In fact, she looks perfect. And her flowers are so lovely - a blending of pink, salmon and yellow (at the base of the petals). Her blooms just wowed me when I saw her in person. I had heard that she was too bright, too modern for an OGR garden. Not in my opinion. I just wanted to get the word out to all the Floridians out there and others in the humid south. I can't promise that she'll keep this up, but I'm impressed so far. I looked her up on HMF, and she is part Wichurana which might bode well for disease resistance. Aloha is one parent, but I have Aloha, and she is not healthy. Their flower color is similar though, but Lilian is better. Lighter, almost glowing.

This flower is typical when fully open.

{{gwi:272148}}

This is a newer bloom, and it's color is a little deeper.

{{gwi:272149}}

I just planted her in February (bought from Rose Petals Nursery), and she's growing nicely with three or four 3' canes. She's right on a path so I'm hoping she doesn't get huge. But whatever...I'll move her if she does.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

Comments (7)