SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adanielo_gw

My first Austin...I'm nervous!

adanielo
12 years ago

Hello to all. I am a newcomer to rose gardening and just got my first Austin, Heritage. I am so excited but have a few questions!

I am a little perplexed about the transplanting from the pot (bought at a large local garden center). Do I plant with the bud union under the soil, at level, or above? From what I could tell from researching, I put the union just under the soil and piled loose compost and mulch over the crown.

I left the pot outside overnight and it rained. It was very wet when I took it out, and most of the potted soil fell apart, leaving the root exposed. One of the roots broke off (panic!). Is this detrimental?

I planted this near another climber in my yard, facing west. This was here when we bought the house and I have no idea what it is, but it grows like crazy and has tons of suckers. It gets about 4-6 hours of sun a day (noon afternoon). Would that be too much for Heritage?

Lastly, I planted on a cloudy day in the rain. I watered in well. Today (dry, partly sunny, but cool, 60s) the rose looks a little droopy. Should I be watering more, or leave it be? It supposed to be quite cool all week here, partly sunny.

Sorry for so many (naive) questions. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor