SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hookeelao

new DR

hookilau
11 years ago

Hello everyone. I stumbled onto a pic of a DR last week after doing a search for houseplants. I don't know how I could've missed these as I'm currently quite obsessed.

In my haste, I purchased some seedlings of an unknown variety from Ebay. Impulsive to say the least. Then I purchased a slightly larger plant (also from Ebay) both purchases were pretty cheap. I'm trying to contain my glee when I see the mailman, he thinks I'm nuts. Did I mention I'm obsessed? :)

In my enthusiasm for these fat bottomed beauties, I went to a local high end nursery (Hick's on Long Island) and found not only did they have mature plants but they were on sale.

Yay me. I bought 'Roger' for about 15$ (he had a single common pink bloom) and promptly repotted & gave him a haircut.

This was this past Saturday. He's in a shallow pot with hydroton & a wee bit of water at the bottom. I didn't cut any of his roots, it just didn't seem necessary. He's about 12" tall from hydroton to crown with a caudex of 9" diam. The pot is about 10" in diam.

He lives outside for the moment under a shade cloth, we get pretty strong afternoon sun out there. My Basjoo is also getting acclimated to sun out there, so Roger's in good company.

I have a couple of questions regarding the cuttings Roger gave me. There are 5 in all. The tallest of which is 8" and the others are a wee bit smaller. You can see from the pic that callouses have developed, is that enough of a callous for me to pot them up? I plan to continue with the current trend of hydroculture for these little guys as it seems to be serving me well. I'd love to hear from others with DR hydroculture experience.

The are currently quite floppy :/ I take it that's normal?

Any hints or tips anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. With the addition of the 9 plants set to arrive sometime this week and hopefully these 5 cuttings, I should be up to my ears in DR's in no time XD

Antoinette in NY

Comments (9)