SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

freeze damage two weeks later...

hairmetal4ever
17 years ago

What has everyone in the East, Midwest, and South seen as far as freeze damage from the insane cold blast of a few weeks ago now?

Here's my analysis:

Most natives are fine, except the maples A. rubrum and A. saccharinum (Red and Silver) will produce no "keys" or seeds this year whatsoever - the leaves seem to be emerging normally, esp. after last few warm days - oaks and hickories starting to pop too.

Japanese Maples - seem OK here, some damage further south of here.

Flowering Crabs - looked pretty toasted, but it seems the emerging leaves died while the central growing tips of the shoots survived and have expanded new leaves. Blossoms are spotty - some blooming well, others not at all

Flowering Cherries - the "Kwanzan" types seem fine, and just now coming into bloom. "Weeping" ones toast, a few scattered blooms, and leafing out but with significant freeze damage to the leaves I see so far.

Willows - covered in tiny brown leaves, no sign at all of auxiliary buds taking over yet, but you can't kill these annoyances, so I'm sure they'll be fine.

Callery/Bradford flowering pear - some are blooming OK, others not - the one in my yard has no blooms at all - the dormant buds that had started fattening and expanding have mostly died, but I see that right next to those dead buds is a little green shoot in almost all cases - I assume an axiliary or adventious bud taking over - the tree will be fine, but no blooms this year.

Fruits - better than expected - apples and pears OK, peaches actually opened a few (15 - 20% of normal) blooms AFTER the freeze so I may actually get a small crop if the weather stays OK here on out.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus