SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

June 2009 What Have You Fed Your Compost Today?

sylviatexas1
14 years ago

torn-up paperback book that was falling apart anyway

eggshells

shredded junk mail

cold coffee, coffee grounds & filter

Comments (57)

• clc70
    14 years ago

A box of spoiled veggies from the grocery store, big bushels of dead flowers and plants from the cemetary, grass clippings. Tomorrow more of the same with some of last falls leaves, oh and I better empty the bucket full of kitchen scraps.

• takadi
    14 years ago

Lots and lots of well aged PEE. Ahh the elegance of compost

• Related Discussions

April 2013 What Have You Fed Your Compost Today?

Q

Comments (12)
    Pasta (cooked) is fine in compost...especially if you have worms in your pile. Worms love a good helping of carbs while eating on other things. The dairy/oil isn't in a great enough amount to do anything negative unless your pile is too small to handle it. I've been composting pasta and small amounts of dairy-attached foods for years with no issue, even in winter. My piles are large enough to handle animal fats, but I exclude them because they take too long to break down...same for bones, but they're perfectly good for most decent sized piles in non-rodent composting areas...or if you don't care that rodents help "turn" your pile for you...which, amazingly to me some people welcome. This post was edited by nc-crn on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 0:13
    ...See More

June 2012: What have you fed your compost today?

Q

Comments (13)
    UCG, redskins from 2 kilos of home roasted peanuts, watermelon rinds, fridge science experiments. The corn cooking water went on the plants. Question: dryer lint in my dryer is a combo of both natural (cotton/wool,etc) and synthetic (whatever the non-100% natural fibers clothes are made of) Wouldn't the synthetic lint be like adding plastic fibers to my pile? I just wondered........
    ...See More

June 2011 What Have You Fed Your Compost Today?

Q

Comments (29)
    Fall leaves that were still sitting on top of the open pile (that now has pumpkin or squash of some kind growing in it!) Apple cores nectarine pit UCG from couple day's pots used tea bags from iced tea strawberry hulls and a few mushy berries soggy pasta left sitting in the water during dinner (but poured the water into the pan I nuked the meatballs and sauce in) cucumber peel from 1/2 cuke used tonight I've got a couple pounds of rancid whole wheat flour - can this be added? A little bit at a time, or stir in to it doesn't clump? I never put fats (not even buttered noodles) into the compost, so not sure about whole wheat flour. Plus we have bears (I sifted out 12 gallons of finished compost from the bin yesterday since a bear had torn it up overnight anyway). Thanks
    ...See More

July 2009 What Have You Fed Your Compost Pile Today?

Q

Comments (54)
    lots and lots of weeds. seeds and all. mostly plantains. also over grown cosmos, poppy. annual painted daisy shasta daisy flops etc... pretty much 5 wheel barrels full of greens and a few shovel fulls of pine chips. i'm just piling it up till fall. stinks to high heck. but come fall it will be easy to mix in some(tons) of leaves. no worries on the stench.it's about 20 or so yards from the house. my closest neighbor is 2 football feilds away and owns horses. snicker... i tell DH is the horses. this is my 3rd or 4th batch this year and since i ran out of hoarded leaves i decided to cold compost for a while. pile it up and let it stink.i mean rot i mean compost. lol.
    ...See More
  • compostkate
    14 years ago

UCG, kitchen scraps from work, kitchen scraps from home, strawberries & watermelon leftovers from coworker, globs of frosting from my birthday cake that were just too rich to continue eating, RAIN (finally), napkins, TP rolls, torn up egg cartons, and DH's daily dose of liquid gold.

I think I spied some icky greens and old yogurt in the back of the fridge so I might clean it out today and feed the CP again :)

I've seen it mentioned before that people get spoiled produce from the grocery store. How? Every time I ask I get told it's against company policy :(

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"a 2" square piece of 20-something year old wedding cake, with a faded, carmine lipstick smear."

sounds like something Sam Spade would say...
    quick! somebody write the book!
    lol!

Today I fed the compost pile

a bunch of 4 o-clocks

cardboard tp cores from office

coffee grounds & filters

torn-up newspaper

banana peels

• abolivigail
    14 years ago

PEE??

5 gallons fresh horse poop

old celery

coffee grounds and filters

a newspaper

deadheads from various flowers

lots of fall leaves

pine needles

• clc70
    14 years ago

In order to get spoiled vegies from grocery stores you need to go to little independent stores. I live in a rural area and get my spoils from a little grocery store in our small town. They set them out by the loading dock, first come first serve.

• lisascenic Urban Gardener, Oakland CA
    14 years ago

Kitchen waste from my home
    Kitchen waste from the people whose businesses border on my tiny urban garden

I think I need to add sawdust/wood shavings to counteract all those veggies

I'm delighted that my neighbors are adding to my compost pile

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

4 kg of Sevruga Caviar, Gold Label. A touch too salty, I thought, and the expiration date was Aug 2009.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well, it's a shame, david, but, really, what else could you do?

I fed my compost pile

a bunch of torn-up & water-soaked cardboard boxes from the dollar store dumpster

coffee grounds & filters

used teabags

torn-up doughnut boxes from the office

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

Sylvia, I did, of course, drive over to the recycling center to give them the tin that caviar came in, and told them to watch out for the sharp edges. I'm pretty sure they heard me over the roar of their car crushing machines.

Today, on the menu for the greedy, voracious maw of the '52 compost pile, is all the tiny little wild purslane in the new green onion bed.

• gardener_sandy
    14 years ago

Pea vines, shells from the last batch of peas, onion tops and skins from the green onions that went into fried potatoes last night, potato peels since DH prefers them peeled, egg shells, coffee grounds and filter paper from breakfast coffee, toast crusts, (yes, I put bread in the pile), egg shells, drippings from yesterday's pork shoulder roast, (yes, I put FOG [fat, oil, and grease] in the pile), leftover seedlings that didn't make it to the veggie garden, the larger stuff left from an earier batch of compost, the tall and flowering tops of several last year's parsley plants, and probably some other stuff I've forgotten. Pile was hungry and now it's well fed and happy.

Sandy

• User
    14 years ago

Within the last week my compost piles got: The neighbor's lawn clippings, a large branch of the neighbor's olive tree (shredded), my lawn clippings (baby's first hair cut!), the debris from 20 pounds of tomatoes I processed, a smallish pile of dog droppings, assorted kitchen waste and coffee grounds, lawn weeds, and everything the pool skimmer collected including the dead baby bird :(

My only rule is: if it's organic (in the chemical sense) it can go in the piles.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden blog :)

• abolivigail
    14 years ago

Lazygardens, the dog poo is interesting. There is another discussion going on about composting dog poo. I just always thought that poo from an animal with a protein rich diet was a no-no. I'm not worried about pathogens, and my dogs eat a VERY premium diet, but their poo stinks to high heaven. Is dog poo green or brown?

• westover
    14 years ago

"a 2" square piece of 20-something year old wedding cake, with a faded, carmine lipstick smear."

Miss Havisham, I presume?

Here is a link that might be useful: Miss Havisham

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Just the usual stuff as DH refused to put the dead marmot he shot in the compost. I told him some of you guys compost all sorts of dead animals but I got "the look" and he wouldn't do it. Besides I think he wanted to leave it as a warning to the marmot family that has invaded his shed. Hope it works. While I don't like the critters near the house I don't like to see them killed.

Compost is heating nicely anyhow.

• teequiltbarbie
    14 years ago

about 7 gallons of weeds with dirt attached to roots
    ucg's & filters
    egg shells
    ripped up "financial report" (one of those huge ones you get that no one ever reads...at least I don't)

• sophie12
    14 years ago

tore it apart this evening----gave a good mixing and then added a bag of shredded leaves from last fall(rather wet and stinky from all the rain and the bag having torn), fresh lawn clippings, some dasies that didn't get to stay in the garden, some canna rhyzomes that didn't make it to the garden, mixed that all up then added a 5 gal bucket of UCG from Starbucks--------bet it's hot tomorrow!

• teequiltbarbie
    14 years ago

More weeds...lots of those when you don't do Roundup!
    Dead brush cleaned out of Clematis when re-attaching it to shed.
    More weeds...
    cardboard paper roll from inside used up weedblock fabric

• sophie12
    14 years ago

dumped some kitchen scraps in the pile---checked the temp and was right---its up to 150 tonight after yesterdays additions and mixing :-) gotta love it!

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

The result of soaking 1.48 lbs of organic garbanzo beans in a gallon of water, with the idea of making a huge amount of humus to use up some of the garlic scapes, for about 12 hours too long, a total soak-'n-ferment time frame pushing 36 hours.

Oh, my, when I took the lid off, the reaction of young DD was considerably different than when I popped the lid on two quarts of last-years early summer apple sauce that, somehow, lost their seal over the winter, and were turning into apple wine, rather a heady whiff of alcohol, but not unpleasant. The two qts of boozy applesauce and the humus-bound, over-fermented chick peas fed the monster, covered by several large hand fulls of dry grass.

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Lots of weeds, usual kitchen stuff, and DH dumped all the residue from his wine making in the compost.

Two of the bins got covered with old plywood to keep the moisture in.

• gjcore
    14 years ago

Two smallish dead trees that I bought from Lowes :-(

At this point I doubt I'm going to buy any more bushes or trees from the big box hardware stores.

I have much better luck buying from the local nursery Nick's Garden Center. Their prices may be about double but at least most of the stuff lives.

• User
    14 years ago

abolivigail - Dog poop would definitely be a "green" because of the high nitrogen content. The trick is to mix liberal quantities of dry leaves into the poop as you collect it and a layer of dry leaves over the top.

Our dog makes it easy because she prefers to use an area where there are a lot of dry leaves, so I scoop leaves and poop together.

If it's stinking, you have too much poop and too little dry stuff in the layer.

• teequiltbarbie
    14 years ago

HEY, GJCORE...RETURN THOSE STUMPS TO LOWE'S IF YOU HAVE THE TAGS AND/OR RECEIPT. If you have anything that says they came from Lowe's at least give it a try. DH works there are they love to please customers...at least his store does!

Turned my piles today...added sticks to bottom of 3rd and empty bin and covered with @ 6 gallons of weeds.

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

My what exotic diets some of these compost piles have.

Mine eats a very plain and ordinary ration of kitchen scraps, fuzzy, green things from the back of the fridge (plant-based only), weeds, eggshells, the neighbor's grass clippings, birdcage cleanings, and last fall's leaves.

• teequiltbarbie
    14 years ago

Carrot peels, celery pieces, tomato ends, lots of strawberry ends, UCG's, onion skins, garlic skins, avocado seeds and peels (2), egg shells, several TP rolls...a few weeds.

• gardener_sandy
    14 years ago

The stem and blossom ends from the first picking of yellow squash, cucumber peels, (also from the first picking), a bunch of aucuba seedlings, and some weeds that managed to sneak into a flower bed. Short rations today.

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Got a large garbage bag at the grocery full of corn husks, veggies, and fruit trimmings. Some of the fruit is still in plastic bags so I'm going to make bug juice with it.

Also added more weeds and a dead plant I'm tired of waiting on. It ain't gonna come back.

• abolivigail
    14 years ago

lazygardens - thanks!

On Friday I added a couple of "financial reports" as another poster mentioned. Took me a while to tear that one up.

A whole bunch of junk mail and bills

green kitchen waste

several bags of UCG (I just figured out what that is!!) that I collected from work.

Couple of scoops of nice fresh horse apples and spoiled hay

Topped with grass as a cover.

I checked it this evening, and it was almost 140F!!

Everybody who comes over gets an offer to "stick your finger in my compost." Most decline. I don't know why.

• swanz
    14 years ago

Trout entrails and bones.

• vannie
    14 years ago

coffee grounds
    egg shells
    banana peels
    wilted flowers

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got 3 boxes of books to take to the VA Hospital, & I took out the ones that were musty, stained, or had already been colored in (our VA Hospital has a daycare center), tore 'em up, got almost 1/2 a box of paper out of the project, put it in the pile with the usual teabags, coffee grounds, & such.

• joannaw
    14 years ago

I only recently started visiting this forum, and I admit that for a while (viewing from the outside) didn't see the appeal of these "what have you fed your compost?" threads. Now I've actually read one, and I totally get it. :)

From me today: weeds, tea leaves, carrot peels, shredded junk mail.

• growinidaho
    14 years ago

Hi all, newbie here! I am in the process of starting my first compost piles (2 or 3). Can you direct me to a good link (besides this one of course) that tells me what browns are. We have 2 acres of compost ready material plus forest goodies...yay!
    I never had time to do yard sale shopping but this compost shopping is right up my tree... ha ha...I love reusing stuff. I am hooked, I even asked my dh to share his part (gold deposit) and he said get lost...hmph.

Here is what I have to put into it to start it:
    2 bales of part moldy straw with grass and mushrooms growing on top
    coffee grounds and filters
    pop tart box
    13 gal bag of tp and pt carboard tubes
    newspapers
    kitchen scraps from the last month
    3 ft tall by 6 ft wide sod with weeds attached
    a 1/2 acre or more of 3' tall weeds with clumps of aged horse manure attached, all organic
    willow tree twigs
    wood stove ashes
    garden weeds
    a bon fire sized pile of ash, moldy hay, burned stuff, bark, limbs, leaves, etc. that is water logged and can't be reburned until Oct (new use for it now!)
    grass/weed clippings
    wild mushroom varieties
    different stages of aged horse manure (no longer have horses)
    egg cartons
    junk mail to shred
    chainsaw/axe wood shavings
    etc. etc.
    I have a trash can started, a lasagna style 6' square started (can I cover it with clear plastic sheeting to help heat it up) and my huge sod pile that is too heavy to turn (I want to gradually add 1/2 of it to the lasagna pile)
    My goal is to have some ready this summer, this fall and some for next year.
    Any advice would be much appreciated, this is my first year at gardening. My garden is growing and has never been composted, I started it from tilled/chopped weed sod. We have 3 great mouser cats keeping their eye out for critters.
    Thank you all...I love this thread!!!!!!

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

Two heads of slimy celery that I bought on sale because DH swore he would eat it and he didn't. Half a cabbage and half a head of bok choy that has passed their useful life hiding behind the uneaten celery. The trimmings from my first picking of summer squash. Assorted egg shells, coffee grounds, and the rest of the usual suspects in kitchen scraps.

Then I topped it off with a layer of very twiggy birch leaves.

• teequiltbarbie
    14 years ago

2 torn up TP rolls
    one Totino's 3 cheese pizza box (don't judge me please)
    neighbors fruit scraps
    gallon of grass clippings

• violet_sky
    14 years ago

"A 2" square piece of 20-something year old wedding cake, with a faded, carmine lipstick smear."
    Aw, that's kinda sad. Hope it was nothing more then a case of a really full freezer being cleaned out...

Recently the compost pile has eaten a big ol bag of UCG from Starbucks, kitchen scraps (mango peelings, strawberries, tea bags, UCG, onion tops, tater peelings, etc) the broccoli plants I yanked out of the garden now that they're done and of course a constant supply of weeds. I seriously need some browns!! Might have to buy a newspaper. 0.o (or actually deal with the mail piling up in the office.) Heh.

• sophie12
    14 years ago

lots of air (good mixing)
    egg shells
    pepper trimmigs
    dryer lint
    watermellon rind
    some weeds pulled today

• champagne
    14 years ago

I love all the ideas here....I never knew about toilet paper/paper towel tubes and other cardboards. Didn't think about shredded newspaper before, either.

But my list for the day:

Some spoiled hay
    Bolted lettuce from the garden
    Two way-overripe bananas
    Coffee grounds/filters
    Carrot tops after pulling and eating carrots
    Deadheaded flowers
    Old dried up potting soil from old pots
    Kitchen veggie scraps
    Corn husks

I need to heat it up so I just emailed a friend with horses and offered to clean a stall..... :-)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

shoveled out the car today, so added

paper napkins

used scratch paper

liquid chocolate bar (Between May & November, you *cannot* leave candy or-electronics-in the car in Texas!)

plus the usual

banana peels,

apple cores

eggshells

coffee grounds & filters

used tea bags

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

Yesterday: old broccoli (don't ask, don't smell...), coffee grounds, asparagus, apples, weeds, shreded newspaper, paper towels, lemon half, corn husk, watermelon rind. There will be corn cobs and more husks tonight.

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

Bolted lettuce, kitchen scraps, and handful of weeds, a basil stem, coffee grounds, and half a loaf of bread that got moldy.

BTW -- is moldy bread a brown or a green?

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Turned 3 compost bins today, layering with fresh grass clippings and weeds, then added about 4 gallons of UCG from the coffee shop, our daily coffee filter w/UCG, 2 egg shells, 1/2 bucket full of deadheaded flowers. Also buried some grass clippings in the middle of the other 2 bins.

More stuff to add tonite.

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Where's everyone, too busy gardening to post? Makes me feel like a slacker. ;-)

Got another 1/2 garbage can of veggie trimmings from the supermarket. Mostly outer leaves of romaine lettuce, 2 "bouquets" of parsley that looked good enough to eat but I couldn't bring myself to eat something that had been in a garbage bag(!), some turnip trimmings, and a few other goodies - I didn't want to "play" too much in the scraps, just threw it in the bin.

• compostkate
    14 years ago

It's been busy here! My bins are nearly full. I get a very satisfying stretching of the back muscles when it's time to turn 'em lol. This past week has added the following:

few large bags of Starbucks UCG
    kitchen scraps from work, home, and coworker's
    bird cage linings
    some baby mice found in the basement
    grass clippings, weeds, and garden trimmings
    ~8 gals. mixed UCG and fruit pieces from local coffee/smoothie shop
    shredded packing paper (which was very theraputic btw)
    fries of unknown age, various paper products, and old sodas from cleaning the cars
    TP rolls, PT rolls, and pizza boards all shredded to satisfaction
    leftover cherries, potatoes, apples, and celery not to mention the stripped bare bones from a Wing Ding (kinda like a Hot Wings cook-off w/o a winner but with plenty of beer)
    recycled beer from above Wing Ding lol

Next week I'll be getting 2 truckloads of yard trimmings from a neighbor! Even after it's all shredded I think it might be time to start a new pile :)

• sophie12
    14 years ago

Pulled 1/2 of the contents out to "age" a bit in another cage

added to the "old" pile:
    gal bucket from kitchen--egg shells, grape stems, pepper trimmings, bannana peels
    trimmed small tree branches--chopped with lawn mower while mowing lawn---3 bags

5 gal UCG
    5 gal weeds pulled this evening
    5 gal bucket grass/dirt from edging a border
    lots of air in mixing it all up

• ptilda
    14 years ago

Junkmail
    bills
    an old calendar on recycled paper
    2 t.p. rolls
    Spaghetti & cereal boxes cut up
    an old school handbook
    a gallon of kitchen waste (produce, UCG, etc)
    a pile of partially decomposed leaves from another location
    some garden lime that got wet & stinky
    leftovers from cutting my niece's hair
    several handfuls of weeds
    Covered/layered with part of the HUGE pile of last fall's leaves

• abolivigail
    14 years ago

large amount of finely shredded paper from work
    Kitchen waste

Question: My pile is now about 3X3 inside my pallet bin. Is it time to let it cook and start another one?

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

Its time for the weekly cleaning of the fridge so the compost pile is licking its chops waiting for the mysterious things from the back of the shelf as a supplement to the day's ration of weeds and vegetable trimmings. :-D

I got the kids to rake the last section of deciduous tree leaves so I have about a month until I have to find an alternative brown to use between the layers of green stuff.

• rookie09
    14 years ago

Lots of kitchen scraps, shredded newspaper and cardboard, ucg and filters, tea bags, weeds and tp rolls.