SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_wonderful

Can I use rockdust on pH 7 soil

organic_wonderful
12 years ago

Whether or not you see a benefit in using rockdust or not is irrelevant to this question. So, whilst I appreciate there are different views on the usefulness of rockdust in allotment soil, I would appreciate it if we could keep that to another thread (which I will in fact make later on or at some point in the next couple of days).

So, basically the question is this; my allotment soil pH is 7. If I add rockdust at a rate of a 2-3kg per square meter, will it raise the pH (because of the basic/alkaline - forgive my limited chemistry knowledge) to a level in which tender crops such as tomatoes, peppers or aubergines will not be able to grow and thrive well in the soil? I understand it takes a long while for it to be broken down, so the effect wouldn't be obvious immediately, but eventually down the line will it cause the soil pH to rise too high for these crops?

Or is it really true that the soil/earth is SO MUCH of a good pH buffer that it really doesn't matter? Am I okay to use it or not?

Thanks guys. I've asked on other boards but the answers all seem to be contradictory or they argue about the need for it in the first place, which is not what I am asking to discuss. I am simply concerned about the effect on soil pH.

To me there is no doubt it works well at least in some soils, but I am worried about using it on soil with a pH of 7.

Comments (16)