SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

peony season (and other things....)

The air is scented with peonies in our neighbourhood in the past few days! We contribute our share to the scent :-) The one we have the most of is one that was here when we bought the property in 1999. It was beside a fieldstone patio that was stitting where our living room was going to be, so we dug up the peony and sort of dumped it in a back corner. The following spring we were somewhat surprised to see that it was still alive! So we chopped it into a couple of pieces and put some in the front bed and some along the driveway. We had no idea what color it was and it took several years before it started blooming after the abuse it suffered! I'm not sure what it is (perhaps Bowl of Beauty...) but we like it.

An individual flower:
{{gwi:240992}}

A clump in the driveway border:

{{gwi:240993}}

We're not sure what this white one is (Festive Maxima perhaps...) A neighbour gave it to us, saying smeone had given it to her years ago and it never bloomed. She was a bit chagrinned when it bloomed the next year for us! We call it the poke-eye peony because DH scratched the cornea in one eye on a dried stalk of a daisy when he leaned down to plant the peony :-) There's a single white peony (Krinkled White) a little to the side of the double one. You can see the white peony patch here:
{{gwi:240994}}

There is also a nice patch of single pink peonies near the iron clematis tuteur - you can just see them in the base of the previous picture (although the color is washed-out in that picture.) The color of the pink peonies does change substantially as they mature. Here they are June 11:
{{gwi:236514}}
and here they are today:
{{gwi:240996}}

There is a nice deep pink-red single peony across the path from the pink ones:
{{gwi:240997}}

I like single peonies for several reasons but particularly because they don't need staking!

Patty's Plum poppies are nearby and sort-of (!) blend into the color theme:
{{gwi:240998}}

And after all that color, here's what I see from the window near the desk in our home office where I'm typing this post:
{{gwi:240999}}

Comments (20)