SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
masi61_gw

No truck or trailer need ideas on how to get cheap sand

masi61
16 years ago

Hello. I have a yard in Ohio with rocky clay, poorly drained soil. I'm getting into gardening more now and understand the importance of organic material. I make my own compost from yard leaves and grass clippings and the decomposed material is starting to help. However, the predominant clay structure causes poor drainaige. I can't grow lavender at all, it sort of rots out.

I believe I need a serious influx of sand! Now I have bought sand by the bag but obviously this is not cost effective. Locally in Xenia Ohio, I can buy sand, pea gravel, etc.. by the ton for like 4$ per ton. I think the delivery charge is pretty steep so your bargain quickly becomes not a bargain if they haul it for you.

I would love to figure out a way to get some pea gravel (for a drainaige creek at the front of my property - we have no storm sewers. And some regular coarse sand over to my property. I could use the sand in so many ways.

Could anyone make a suggestion on how I could get some serious quantity home on a DIY basis? I'm considering a small lawn tractor sized trailer for my Honda Element BTW. I do have a 1-3/8" receiver hitch on it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (7)