SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candogal_gw

Obsessive spouse follow up

candogal
13 years ago

Regulars might remember my posting from 4-5 weeks ago about my husband and my forrays into hot composting. He had recently been laid off, and was obsessing about ratios of greens:browns, whereas I wanted to wing it. Everyone was really helpful, and someone suggested having his & hers piles to see which way worked better for us.

Right after that, the job search really picked up, which was great. He ended up getting 3 job offers, and started his choice of jobs today. All that ego-boosting did end up calming him down about ratios of things to rot, just as suspected. Since he was so busy interviewing, we didn't end up getting the 3-bin composter built until a little over a week ago. It ended up being a mix of pallets (in back), wood left over from various home projects over the years, plastic trellising that we used to use on the deck to make it safer for our youngest (now age 10), and a small amount of purchased wood. If you ask me, it's the perfect mix and somehow ends up fulfilling our composting esthetic. (I feel a little wacky for admitting that out loud.)

Having calmed down so much, my hubby decided to follow a "recipe" from Ohio State (he's a graduate) that I found online. It's the basic this many inches of this & then this many inches of that. So much for the experiment - oh, well. He ended up putting it together while I did some other garden chores.

Then we both kept taking the pile's temp - weird how excited one gets about this! After a few days, it stabilized at 110. I decided to turn the pile yesterday (day 6 for it) and add some more manure. When I opened the bag of the manure that I'd been so happy about the local horse owner leaving conveniently for people to pick up - aha! The darn stuff is more than half sawdust or wood bedding of some sort. Seems like it's soaked in urine, but still. After all that obsessing about volume vs. weight, my hubby had managed to overlook how high in carbon wood bedding is and our pile didn't have nearly enough greens. And no, I did not rag on him about that - not my style to gloat. Besides, he built the composter - that would have been rude. I was privately amused, however.

So now I'm on the quest to find reliable sources of greens. Argh!

Comments (4)