SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlotte_willner

Transitioning climbing rose from trellis to arbor?

Charlotte Willner
11 years ago

Hi all,

Upon moving into this house, we inherited a large and vigorous climbing rose that my grandfather anchored to the house over a decade ago -- possibly Cecile Brunner? This spring, the rose seems to have gotten too heavy for the stucco and has popped off the wall. I am reluctant to drill back into the stucco to re-anchor it, as I consider that a losing battle.

Here is a picture of the rose in its current sad state: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/535133_604165485407_4600499_32267923_1398459024_n.jpg

My question is: could we put in an arbor and drape the existing growth over it? Would the rose adapt to such a repositioning? I've looked into building a trellis that isn't anchored to the wall, but I think I'd prefer the look of an arbor. Has anyone tried this or faced a similar challenge?

Please forgive the looks of the rest of the garden -- we've had only a few months in the house, and I haven't quite figured out what to do with "Lollipop Tree Lane" back here. The rose is the first step!

Comments (4)