SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

Ramblers endangered; drought and Easter Freeze

anntn6b
16 years ago

I'm not sure I'd want to be a rose gone wild in my part of the world this spring.

The Easter Freeze knocked hundreds of thousands of blooms to the ground. And now the drought continues, for much of the area that has roses that need to regrow their freeze damaged parts from 45 days ago. A little real rain would have helped, but it's not here.

DH keeps worrying that we need to spray fungicides. I keep looking at the leaves that have come out in spite of the growing conditions and I drag my feet because the leaves aren't hardened, nor are they well hydrated.

We are back to putting the watering system on line to get some good growth before the heat of summer (which may have been this week).

I think this year's challenge is to make good rose bushes. Which means water, water, water and limited fertilizer until the winter rainy season catches up to us.

And that brings me to the Rambler roses. This is when the ramblers bloom. But we are in a growth area. Regraded road sides, more efficient bush hogs that cut really close to the soil and big machines that spray herbicides. Today I saw five patches of ramblers that used to be out there are gone.

So...this early summer's effort will be to get some of the ramblers that used to be everywhere, and grow them out to see if they are all the same or different.

Before Round Up beats me to them.

Here is a link that might be useful: How dry we are

Comment (1)