SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lagomorphmom

How many nurseries will we lose?

lagomorphmom
13 years ago

I saw the thread on the EuroDesert closure at work just before I came home. Now I am home and the DH, bless him, has made me a 'big girl drink' to ease the pain. Before I volunteer my feelings, I must add that I really do realize (as far as I know it) the planet and thus our world is ok for now. That said...

I am a bit behind the discovery of Ingrid & Sherryocola in the discovery and acquisition of OGRs, nevertheless, in that context, I am devastated, disconsolate, deeply saddened and honestly ill by this turn of events and all the others similar to it before, including Ashdown, Sequoia... I have 'gardened' since I could make a mud pie; however, the only species that I have collected before (in excess) has been azaleas which finally did me in by my lack of spring attention.

It occurred to me, while processing Cliff's news and now all the others before him, that I have never planted and/or cared for plants before, that, if 'something' happened to it, I couldn't get another one later. In a world this big, how can this not be? Yes, I know there are examples of it - heirloom varieties of 'domesticated' plants requiring seed propagation, such as vegetables, ie tomatoes and the like that are rare, but ROSES?

[Editor's note] How dumb is that last statement? After all, rose rustler's are on the hunt for lost roses, right? Yet, the reality of the rustler's quest is in the 'finding', not the present responsibility of the 'losing'.

I'm a microbiologist by trade. Intellectually I know that there's probably several logs of new species that have not be characterized because they haven't been encountered so far. That said, I'd have to dig deep to find species that have been characterized and still lost because when we characterize new species they must be deposited in at least two culture collections. Why don't we have such a thing for roses? Obviously: Roses are aesthetic, they are not 'science'.

So today, I am especially hit with the losing. I find myself like Pandora or Eve after the Apple, the knowledge of the responsibility of having the 'last one'... Look what happened to Ralph Moore's intellectual/plant property. What a loss. Can we as 'common folk' store the intellectual/biological 'bank' until better times? Who knows? I guess, that makes HelpMeFind even more valuable so we can share rare clippings...

What a sad day.

Comments (26)