SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

Ogon 'Gold Rush' Dawn Redwood: is it smart; or what?

katrina1
17 years ago

Local temps soared during the last two weeks of March and my young 'Gold Rush' tree broke dormancy and by the early, Saturday morning and Easter morning freeze events it was fully leafed out.

In the first week of April, from late Friday night through 9am Easter Sunday, the tree had bubble wrap protecting its 1" thick and 3' tall trunk; along with, a black drawstring lawn trash bag enclosing its young canopy.

The feather type leaves looked only slightly softened when the temps rose above freezing and I removed the bag and bubble wrap.

That unveiling of the tree was almost 7 days ago, and temps over these last 7 days have ranged from the mid 30s to nearly the high 50s. Yesterday, I noticed the leaves of the tree seemed to be taking on a more medium-dark golden ting to them; and this morning under cloudy skys, the leaves were displaying a slight pinkish color on the ones that were growing on the top-most side of the tree's branches.

Am I right in concluding that the tree now is acting like it would in fall, when it begins to prepare to go dormant for the winter?

If so, that will not cause any problems will it?

In a way, it seems to me that the tree is getting prepared just in case the currently occuring fall-like or more normally March-like temps are indicators to it that the potential for freezes are not over in this part of our region.

Comments (13)