SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

New bed being stolen from lawn!

jacqueline9CA
12 years ago

Ha! We took out a HUGE tree in our front yard a few weeks ago. Now there is way more light, the lawn has stopped dying, and the roses are growing again. Now my DH has decided to address the fact that our 80 year old brick walkway that goes up to the brick front stairs was materially affected by the roots of that tree, and is uneven, to say the least. In the rains a 4 ft by 3 ft lake appears right at the bottom of the stairs - not good. So, we are having the brick front walk re-built, and also taking out some of the lawn right next to it and putting in an oval bed with plantable space of about 50 sq ft. I am so excited!

That area now gets a respectable amount of sun. I want to put in some sort of rose in the middle of the bed, with flowers around it. Perhaps a rose folly/pillar of some sort would be nice - then the rose could climb on it. My problem is that every rose I have planted or grow that climbs gets HUGE in our climate - I plant them to grow up 5 foot high pillars, and they grow 15 feet tall and 6 feet wide! Does anyone know of a SMALL climbing rose in No Cal? That would actually stay on a 5ft tall folly? I don't care about the color except no day-glow oranges or orange blends, please. I like soft colors - no magenta or cerise. The house is nearby and it is a soft grey green. White, pink, soft yellow, peach, etc. would all be fine. Any thoughts?

I love BIG roses, but in my garden they all seem to get big. The only ones that don't are miniatures, and even the climbing miniatures get huge ( I have a climbing Rainbow's End that is 8-9 ft tall). Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Jackie

Comments (4)