SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msarro

Soil not retaining water?

12 years ago

Hey everyone. I am taking my first swing at a raised bed this year, and we went for some gusto - two 4x12 beds. We filled it with a 3 part mixture, one part compost from our municiple compost pile, one part peat, and one part vermiculite. With that combination, you would think it would have no problem retaining moisture, but think again. I can spray it down so much that it is soaked, and by the end of the day the surface two inches are dry. The next day, it is dry completely, all 8 inches. Now, I know here in PA we are in the midst of a dry spell, but it seems a bit absurd. Since the garden season is just getting going, I'm considering going to the store and buying a few bags of organic potting mix to mix in, but I'm not sure that will help. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get this to retain more water? Please be gentle, I'm still pretty new to gardening. My onions, potatoes, carrots, and basil are loving this soil as it stands, so I will let them go for now - they're in separate boxes.

Comments (9)