SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreageorgia

Pink climber ID

andreageorgia
15 years ago

Dear All,

This rose grows in our neighborhood. It has a delicious and fairly strong classic rose scent, perhaps with a bit of a sweet powdery softness to it, large blooms, and it repeats, with at least another major flush in the fall. It also sets very big, orange, onion-shaped hips. I talked to the owner of the house who moved in 25 years ago when the rose was already there, much bigger than it is now since it's been cut back quite drastically a few times, she said. The previous owners had lived there for over 50 years, the house is probably about a hundred years old. Looking at that massive rootstock (see the first photo below), the rose is probably over 50 years old, if not closer to 100. Apart from than those cutbacks, it has never received any care over the last 25 years, (and now a young plantain has been trying to take its place, also being cut back all the time). The flowers look somewhat old fashioned HT or Bourbon perhaps (?) although the leaves have quite a modern look to them, mid-green, neither really glossy nor matte. Very few or no thorns in the upper branches, a few more big ones on the lower ones. The current growth is only two or three years old, since it was recently cut back severely to save it from being damaged by house renovations. Max height is currently somewhere around 2.5 meters. So right now it looks like an intermediate between a very large, arching shrub and (most likely) a climber.

I really like this rose, and would be very happy if someone could ID it. The few similar roses I know don't seem quite a match, e.g. Capt. Christy, Cl., SdlM, Cl., or Lady Sylvia, Cl.

Apologies for the very poor image quality, these are compact snapshots taken in a hurry on a couple of very windy days with my impatient one-year-old trying to pull me away ...

The rootstock, perhaps 30+ cm in diameter

{{gwi:268791}}-+

{{gwi:268792}}

{{gwi:268794}}

{{gwi:268796}}

{{gwi:268797}}

{{gwi:268799}}

{{gwi:268800}}

{{gwi:268801}}

{{gwi:268802}}

{{gwi:268803}}

{{gwi:268804}}