SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treeinnj

600# bear on deck - takes birdfeed, not compost

treeinnj
15 years ago

Well, we were @ church for a fundraiser dinner (& celebrating our 11th Anniv :) & our neighbors phoned - a 600# black bear (we have lots of black bear in NW NJ) visited our deck - which is about 12 feet off of the ground - and then we have a railing and then a birdfeeder extended up & over the railing - so the birdfeeder (squirrel-proof w/black sunflower seeds) was at least 16 feet off of the ground.

He took the birdfeeder & (according to our neighbors - who were eating dinner on their deck - which deck is 3 feet from ours - a townhouse - and who only saw the bear AFTER he was back on the ground w/the birdfeeder) stood in the middle of the yard eating the seed from it - then he went into the woods & came back & picked up every last seed he could find off the ground.

By the time the cops arrived he was gone. We had seen a tree in the woods nearby a few days ago that he'd ripped the bark off of, and someone else had spotted him walking through. It's been a great spring so they should have plenty of natural stuff to eat.

600# is big for this area, and on a deck that's too close, so the cops will probably try relocate to a State/Natl Park nearby - if the bears just walk through with their cubs or whatever, everyone usually just lets 'em be. Some idiots feed them & cause probs.

Any, I was VERY concerned about the condition of the rubbermaid compost bin & whether I'd get into a bunch of trouble for attracting the bear, etc. - but NO! The compost bin is 5' from the exact place on the ground he was standing to crawl up the deck post - and it was completely untouched - not even jiggled or shoved. In fact, he didn't disturb one flower or plant in the garden between the deck & the woods - he just stepped on one potted plant @ the foot of the deck - just tipped it over, and knocked over a potted dahlia that was on the deck railing (I guess when he hopped over it).

Just thought I'd share the events of living in the country in NW NJ w/a birdfeeder & an untouched compost pile!

All the Best, Tree

PS BTW, I won the war against the multiflora rose (?) thorny vine/shrub/weed today - and freed 2 tall butterfly bushes from its thorny grasp - 4 hrs & 2 huge (4'x 3'x4' each) piles of weeds later, although 1 bush has been pushed almost completely sideways instead of vertical, the butterfly bushes now have a new lease on life. Now, I just have to figure out how to pick up & haul away the piles, or get them into garbage bags. hmmm...

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH